Oil/Temp gages

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
Hi I was wanting to mount/use aftermarket temp/oil gauge on my b351. Which have you used and where have you mounted them. My car has the centre console so not sure the best place to mount

Thanks

Do you want a stock appearance? If you type in gauges in the search this forum there are a lot of ways to mount them. There have been a lot of people who have done this so I'm sure someone will chime in. Ryan

i haven't search here but will, but i did look at a few utube videos. not keen on the appearance.. my amp gage don't work and i'd also like to replace it or see why it don't work.. so how does that center piece come off ???

To remove the center of the dash you will need to remove the radio bezel, 4 screws two above the radio on horizontal surface and two above the heater air controls. Sometimes you will need to loosen the dash pad to allow the edge of the plastic in the center to come out. There are couple screws at the top and I think two at the bottom.

I myself if I were worried with the oil pressure I would install a light. People do not go down the road looking at the gauges all the time or should not. When racing you have a big red light right in front of you that comes on if the oil pump quits. The gauge is there for reference to look at if something goes wrong to verify pressure. The center gauges are totally in the wrong place on these cars and pretty much useless. I have 5 with gauges. I could have no oil pressure and never know until it starts to seize and then look at the gauge too late. A light would tell me right when it happens. Real gauges need to be high up and in front of you to be of much use to allow check at a glance. Just like a tach when drag racing. They put the shift light on because you don't have time to sit there and look at a dial go up to the shift point. You see the light and shift.

The first Shelby's had the added gauge pod mounted to the top of the dash to get them where you could actually use them.

I guess it depends on what you want looks of function. The three center gauge cluster on these cars if for looks they for sure are not located to be a functional tool. Just my thoughts I am sure other will not agree.

^^Thats great info. Anybody know of someone who would do the entire panel conversion?

Back