Oirg. vs Repo Parts?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
So we are slowly getting parts here and there, and me personally I just want to put the car back to good running condition and be able to drive it. My Dad is just wondering is it better to go as close to orig. as possible, not a full blown every bolt, but no repo parts. In the long run, I'm assuming that orig 73 parts would be better to have and increase the vaule, but does it really matter much down the road if some are repo?

it all depends on a few things like are you entering it to shows as all original stock,if so than you want to buy parts nos , if you want a daily driver get what you can afford,because restoreing a classic car can add up fast,so it all depends on you and what kind of restoration your after show car all original,or daily driver with reporduction parts at a fraction of the cost.good luck

it all depends on the look and fitment of the part.

I have bought some Repo parts that look identical to the original parts, and I have others parts that I had to return because they were no where near the right size or fitment or even look.

as for the shows, it all depends on what type of show you goto, if its a MCA show, you better have OEM or NOS parts, if its a local type show, just go and have fun. no one is going to inspect each and every part.

whatever part you need if you ask the board, I'm sure someone has bought it and either liked it or didn't like it. just ask.

My advice is to use original parts where practical and aftermarket parts where necessary. It makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars on OEM when aftermarket will meet your needs. IMHO

Again it depends on what you want from the car.

The ole' repro vs original question.

Good luck with an answer to that.

With the myriad of factors involved, I would say to stay as original as reasonably possible...however everyone's definition of reasonable is different.

If you have a $$$ budget, or a finish date, do the best you can with original parts, and then use repro when you have to. Repro generally does not mean "good fit". Ask anyone here.

But, original doesn't necessarily mean good fit either.

You are in a tough position my friend...as are we all.

The ole' repro vs original question.

Good luck with an answer to that.

With the myriad of factors involved, I would say to stay as original as reasonably possible...however everyone's definition of reasonable is different.

If you have a $$$ budget, or a finish date, do the best you can with original parts, and then use repro when you have to. Repro generally does not mean "good fit". Ask anyone here.

But, original doesn't necessarily mean good fit either.

You are in a tough position my friend...as are we all.
Luckily this doesn't need to be done in 2 weeks haha! Sounds like oirg. is the best way to go! Thanks everyone for your comments

I'd say original wherever possible. If you want NOS (new-old stock) be prepared for sticker shock. Repop sheetmetal usually needs to be worked so it will fit correctly. Some repop parts aren't bad. I got a lot of stuff, mostly from OMS but some from CJPP, and most of it has been pretty decent. Don't be scared of repop but definitely ask here first because many of us have dealt with some crap.

Back