Original Plenum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
Is there a particular paint or refinishing technique for restoring a worn looking original ram air plenum or are they best left alone? I know that there are places that would rebuild the flapper canisters - or is that something a layman can attempt as well?

Thanks,

I belive the OEM air plenums were made of fiberglas. Not sure how they were "colored". Gelcoat, or painted afterwards. Good question: Bob Perkins could probably answer that.

The canisters could be rebuilt easily if you could source the internals...anyone know where to get the internal stuff, the diaphragms especially?

I belive the OEM air plenums were made of fiberglas. Not sure how they were "colored". Gelcoat, or painted afterwards. Good question: Bob Perkins could probably answer that.

The canisters could be rebuilt easily if you could source the internals...anyone know where to get the internal stuff, the diaphragms especially?
Yup Fiberglass. I'm not sure what the finish is other than they are black!

some people paint them semi gloss black... i think they look weird.

you could try power washing the fiberglass or soap and water, then when dry give them a once over with "back to black" it will get rid of that washed out look of the fiberglass, but you will have to touch it up from time to time.

It sounds like you're restoring yours, so Dan's idea of power washing with the Back-to-Black might be the way to go, until you find out for sure.

I just rattle-canned mine with some Duplicolor Gloss Black Engine Enamel. With some new fasteners from OMS, it looks pretty snappy against the fresh light pewter paint on the hood. I did, however, only paint the 'engine side' of the plenum - the factory grease pencil/chalk/whatever markings on the top side are still 'preserved.' I carefully cleaned around the markings and the rest of the plenum piece, and flat clear-coated the markings, but otherwise left the top side alone.

It sounds like you're restoring yours, so Dan's idea of power washing with the Back-to-Black might be the way to go, until you find out for sure.

I just rattle-canned mine with some Duplicolor Gloss Black Engine Enamel. With some new fasteners from OMS, it looks pretty snappy against the fresh light pewter paint on the hood. I did, however, only paint the 'engine side' of the plenum - the factory grease pencil/chalk/whatever markings on the top side are still 'preserved.' I carefully cleaned around the markings and the rest of the plenum piece, and flat clear-coated the markings, but otherwise left the top side alone.
Right. I would probably leave the topside alone. And I do need some fasteners. If I could ask, why did you go with gloss? Were these more of a flat finish originally? There are a few marks on this one that would need to be painted with something as Back to Black isn't going to bring these areas back - no black there! If I hit those area I may as well plan on spraying the whole thing to keep it uniform in appearance. But, if it is no longer going to look stock.....maybe I should just be going with a repro anyway!

It was what I had. That, and I've always had better luck with glossy engine enamel than flat or semi-flat/gloss on my Jeep - seems more durable and easier to clean.

Again, mine is not a faithful restoration by any means, even though I'm trying to maintain some of the stock appearance. I'm going more for a "period correct" restomod: Cragar S/S rims, staggered tires, Lakewood traction bars, louvers, etc. I kind of wasn't paying attention when I did it, and painted my engine with Duplicolor Old Ford Blue, rather than Corporate Blue - and caught all sorts of Hell from "purists" on other forums for not using the correct paint. Honestly, I actually like the "Old Ford Blue" better than Corporate Blue anyway, which the negativity from the others just made me more resolute in the mindset of, "it's my car - I'll build it how I want it."

Short answer: The glossy black also just makes the engine bay "pop" a little more along all of my other engine bling. ;) :D

It was what I had. That, and I've always had better luck with glossy engine enamel than flat or semi-flat/gloss on my Jeep - seems more durable and easier to clean.

Again, mine is not a faithful restoration by any means, even though I'm trying to maintain some of the stock appearance. I'm going more for a "period correct" restomod: Cragar S/S rims, staggered tires, Lakewood traction bars, louvers, etc. I kind of wasn't paying attention when I did it, and painted my engine with Duplicolor Old Ford Blue, rather than Corporate Blue - and caught all sorts of Hell from "purists" on other forums for not using the correct paint. Honestly, I actually like the "Old Ford Blue" better than Corporate Blue anyway, which the negativity from the others just made me more resolute in the mindset of, "it's my car - I'll build it how I want it."

Short answer: The glossy black also just makes the engine bay "pop" a little more along all of my other engine bling. ;) :D
If you saw the color of my car and the striping you would know that the purists are going to hang me right after they are done with you. Still, despite that my car has a lot of original/stock components so if I am going to bother with an original plenum (umm by the way - my car was not built with one:) I want to try and keep it as correct as possible. My other choice is just to order up the $500 kit from OMS and be done with it.

Everything I've seen (and read) so far, says your car is going to awesome regardless of being 100% correct or not. ::thumb::

I'm pretty sure the purists will have me on the rack for awhile, after all the "non-original" replacement parts I've tossed together (they span from '69-'93). ;) :p

Everything I've seen (and read) so far, says your car is going to awesome regardless of being 100% correct or not. ::thumb::

I'm pretty sure the purists will have me on the rack for awhile, after all the "non-original" replacement parts I've tossed together (they span from '69-'93). ;) :p
Well thank you. I think that the grabber blue is stunning but it takes some getting used to. My first preferred color was the silver and black and then green with the ginger inside. As the car sits today virtually everything works (umm virtually) and it drives nicely although I have nothing to compare it to. When I do find something missing I am trying to replace it with NOS or used but I realize that this may not always be possible. And, since my car is not "correct" to begin with I am not sure how much I should care but again there are so many original parts I would like to try and keep it that way.

I have tried the show route a bit but it is not really for me. I just like cruising in the thing. It gets enough attention that way albeit nobody is handing me a trophy!

But, that is why I am tossing around getting a reproduction Ram Air as opposed to an old original that needs some love. My car is a 73 Q code without Ram Air of course. However, someone slapped the 351 Ram Air stickers on the hood. So, it was either peel off the $10 stickers or spend $600 on the Ram Air.

Sensible I am not.:D

Me Neither. If I had any sensibility, I would've found a better car to start with. ;)

Instead, I'll have an almost $40K H-code (not counting labor - which has been pretty much all "me, myself, and I").

There's nothing wrong with add-on Ram Air - even though the Marti Report didn't show it, there's nothing saying a dealer didn't install it. :D

Me Neither. If I had any sensibility, I would've found a better car to start with. ;)

Instead, I'll have an almost $40K H-code (not counting labor - which has been pretty much all "me, myself, and I").

There's nothing wrong with add-on Ram Air - even though the Marti Report didn't show it, there's nothing saying a dealer didn't install it. :D
Sure...the dealer installed it.......that's it. Honestly, down the road is a buyer is going to be year correct then he is not going to like the 71/72 stripe or the 71/72 paint on my 73.

I'm sure I'll mange to hit that number as well....But, I cant complain. I really think I got a great car for the money. Paid a little too much but it is in good shape. At least to me. An expert might tell me a lot I don't want to hear.

Back