Paint color for 71-72 standard grille?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello, finally just got a new / old standard grille for my '72 and am considering painting it before installing. Not looking for show quality and frankly doesn't have to be a perfect match as my car is nowhere near stock and far from perfect, but would like to be in the ballpark on the color. Can someone tell me what the colors from something like Rustoleum etc. are for the outer and inner parts of the grille? Looks like a charcoal gray and silver or something like that but but not certain as this is pretty faded. I actually pretty OK with it having some age as it matches the car, but if I can make it look better easily I might give it a good clean and paint. I know it's plastic so I'd probably use an adhesion promotor / primer first.

Also, since I don't have anything normal on there now, I don't know what screws I need for any of it as it's missing most all of that. Currently have a Frankensteined '73 grille on there that I can't wait to remove. So any feedback on what I need for mounting the grill and headlight trim rings etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

If it's a black finish you want, then SEM Trim Black is my go-to paint of choice. Just make sure all the surfaces, nooks and grannies are thoroughly cleaned first.
SEM also have other trim colors or Eastwood paints are excellent as well. If you can't get those brands, Dupicolor is a good choice as well.

Back