Paint color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexican

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang grande
red2.pngCan anybody tell me what color is this? i want it for my car,

red.pngI know is red but my car also say it is red and don't look nothing like that red

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is an original color, then it looks to be Bright Red...see link below.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=15434&ditzler=2296&syear=1972&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Bright%20Red&name=1972_00029_01

110w4fc.jpg

Hi Lupe,

Can anybody tell me what color is this? - No, it could be any color name under the sun. You would never know!

I hear what you are saying, but always remember, photos lie when it comes to the accuracy of colors. Photos are never, never accurate, and sadly, in reality, can't be used as an accurate form of reference. They can only give you reasonable accuracy as to what you are seeing in the photo. If you like what you see in a photo, then it's a good place to start when choosing the color you like or are chasing for yourself.

In reality, there are many hundreds of shades of red color.My advice to you would be to visit a good auto spray shop,or paint company outlet, like PPG, and get them to show you the many shades of red from color swatches. By all means, take your photo to the spray shop or company as well, as that will give you a good ground reference to the type of red you are chasing. Swatches can be held up against the photo you like to get a good idea of what you are chasing.

At the end of the day, you will be needing a paint color name, code, and formula to go with whatever you choose for your favorite red color you end up going with, and a code and formulation must fall into line with the red you like the most and settle on getting.

BTW - That color you like in the photo, would have a lot of bright red/magenta/black/white tinters in the formula to give it that rich, vibrant, deep and bluey purple look.

Greg.:)

Very useful link, thanks! And yes, mu code says bright red

Hi Lupe,

Can anybody tell me what color is this? - No, it could be any color name under the sun. You would never know!

I hear what you are saying, but always remember, photos lie when it comes to the accuracy of colors. Photos are never, never accurate, and sadly, in reality, can't be used as an accurate form of reference. They can only give you reasonable accuracy as to what you are seeing in the photo. If you like what you see in a photo, then it's a good place to start when choosing the color you like or are chasing for yourself.

In reality, there are many hundreds of shades of red color.My advice to you would be to visit a good auto spray shop,or paint company outlet, like PPG, and get them to show you the many shades of red from color swatches. By all means, take your photo to the spray shop or company as well, as that will give you a good ground reference to the type of red you are chasing. Swatches can be held up against the photo you like to get a good idea of what you are chasing.

At the end of the day, you will be needing a paint color name, code, and formula to go with whatever you choose for your favorite red color you end up going with, and a code and formulation must fall into line with the red you like the most and settle on getting.

BTW - That color you like in the photo, would have a lot of bright red/magenta/black/white tinters in the formula to give it that rich, vibrant, deep and bluey purple look.

Thanks Greg!, You are right, i will go pick the color i like.

Yesterday i went to a car show and there was a beautiful 1970 Mach1, i told him my plans for the car and he said if he had this car he would do whatever he wanted to it since this car will never be worth much anyway, then he went to bragging about his car been valued at 107k because it was all original, then he went to tell me that he had replaced the 302 heads with 351 heads, in my book that is not 100%original but to each his own, i will fix my car to my liking even if is worth $5.00:D

I believe it's color code 2B, which is "Bright Red" but depeding on the lighting can have some orange. Fun fact, 2B is also the color code for the red paint on the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino.

I believe it's color code 2B, which is "Bright Red" but depeding on the lighting can have some orange. Fun fact, 2B is also the color code for the red paint on the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino.
Yes, Bright red is what the code says but it looks more orange than red, go figure!!

The red fades after a while and look orange in bright sun light. I had a red coupe in high school. I was the second owner and bought it in 1977. I was backed into and had to get the bumper painted. I had it done at the Ford dealer and was not happy because it did not match. The dealer told the red looks more orange as it fades from the sun light. I am not sure if this is true but it sure look like it on my old coupe.

John J

Hi Lupe,

Yesterday i went to a car show and there was a beautiful 1970 Mach1, i told him my plans for the car and he said if he had this car he would do whatever he wanted to it since this car will never be worth much anyway, then he went to bragging about his car been valued at 107k because it was all original, then he went to tell me that he had replaced the 302 heads with 351 heads, in my book that is not 100%original but to each his own, i will fix my car to my liking even if is worth $5.00:D

Like others have posted before, if the color is original, 71 code "3" or 72/ code "2B" Bright Red is what your looking at. I had a 72 Gran Torino Sport code "2B" I bought new and it was a beautiful color red. My 71 Mach 1 code "3" bright red still has the original red (mostly with a good mix of rust) but has faded so badly it now looks orange.

You'll also learn to grow some hard skin at the car shows. The "IF its not a 65-70 Mustang" haters are out there in force. Your conversation with the 70 Mach 1 owner reminded me of several I've had many times. You compliment them on their cars and they tear yours apart. Those 71-73's will never be worth anything, so you can do whatever you want. Nobody will care. You might as well driven a Checker taxi cab. I've had many different years Stangs and respect anyones Mustang from 1965-2015. Yes, even the hated Mustang II.

So I would do as Greg said. Pick the color you like and rub, massage, and tweak it the way YOU want it. It's your car and don't worry about the people who don't like us and our "Big" Mustangs :)

car show.png

Hi Lupe,

Like others have posted before, if the color is original, 71 code "3" or 72/ code "2B" Bright Red is what your looking at. I had a 72 Gran Torino Sport code "2B" I bought new and it was a beautiful color red. My 71 Mach 1 code "3" bright red still has the original red (mostly with a good mix of rust) but has faded so badly it now looks orange.

You'll also learn to grow some hard skin at the car shows. The "IF its not a 65-70 Mustang" haters are out there in force. Your conversation with the 70 Mach 1 owner reminded me of several I've had many times. You compliment them on their cars and they tear yours apart. Those 71-73's will never be worth anything, so you can do whatever you want. Nobody will care. You might as well driven a Checker taxi cab. I've had many different years Stangs and respect anyones Mustang from 1965-2015. Yes, even the hated Mustang II.

So I would do as Greg said. Pick the color you like and rub, massage, and tweak it the way YOU want it. It's your car and don't worry about the people who don't like us and our "Big" Mustangs :)
Ha ha, very good advise, i like my car and don't care what the "other" mustang guys say, i get a lot of thumbs up from other people even as ugly as my car is, and they keep inviting me to car shows, i'm sitting at one right now and i'm kinda liking it:D

Back