Painting hood and lower panels black

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which version

• Boss or NASCAR

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Gloos or Matt

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
I see mainly easy picks like black or grey for hood deco. shiny or matt. Ford did this so its good.

For the not "concours/original" restos, I wonder why I don't see other colour combos than this classic pick being used for the hood?

Don't want to get lynched in public asking this.. but Is there something against reusing the body color in darker or lighter variation?

using complementary colours? Why so classic/near original when it comes to the hood?

I've seen some cars with white stripes and accents, as well as gold. I think many who own these cars have memories of the (not so) good paint schemes of the 70's and 80's, and the preference for stock is pretty strong.

IMO, the matte black and argent are the way to go. I've often wanted to do a 71 with a set of side stripes in the black reflective material ala the Boss 302.

the preference for stock is pretty strong.
Yes totally. Busy thinking of a theme, colour combos for my 71 and during my searches for inspiration,I've found out its pretty obvious.

I have no problem with the classic safe choices, but its kinda weird, I mean, when its under the hood or inside the car, you see the wildest things.

where the owners prefs are ruling over the originals. For the outside, not just the hood, its all reserved.

I remember a few examples that can be very attractive, even more attractive than original deco IMO.

Take @Wide-Body71's badass 71 for instance, regarding his graphics, its totally personal yet respects the 70's style.

Sure enough, the body line is not helping to receive just any kind of deco and that might explain for a big part why, just wish there were a bit more guts in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some cars with white stripes and accents, as well as gold. I think many who own these cars have memories of the (not so) good paint schemes of the 70's and 80's, and the preference for stock is pretty strong.

IMO, the matte black and argent are the way to go. I've often wanted to do a 71 with a set of side stripes in the black reflective material ala the Boss 302.
I'd thought about doing that as well (reflective hockey stripes).  Another idea I had was doing the TuTone, hockey stripes, and rockers in 3M Di-Noc black carbon fiber along with the light pewter paint, to go with my interior replacement of the wood grain.  After reading up on the Di-Noc though, I decided against it since it lacks good UV protection and would be prone to sun-fade and need periodic replacement.

The ideas are endless, only limited by imagination.  In these days with so many Photoshop-like apps, there's really no reason not to do a little homework and come up with exactly what you want if it happens to be different than what the factory provided.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone found a NASA/ NACA stencil that will provide the factory appearance.

I've seen a lot that are close, but missing the nice radiuses or too narrow in width.

Thanks for your help,

Heavy Metal

Hey Guys,

I've seen a lot that are close, but missing the nice radiuses or too narrow in width.

Thanks for your help,

Heavy Metal
Where are you located in SC? I am in Hendersonville, N.C. and I have the original 73 Mach 1 that has not been painted. I also have two more Ford hoods with locks and black out. They can be almost a 1/2" difference from side to side up at the windshield on a factory one. They only had a couple minutes to get it done. You can come here and do rub off of an original if you want and go from there. My zip is 28791 if you want to check mileage.

David

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help,

Heavy Metal
Where are you located in SC? I am in Hendersonville, N.C. and I have the original 73 Mach 1 that has not been painted. I also have two more Ford hoods with locks and black out. They can be almost a 1/2" difference from side to side up at the windshield on a factory one. They only had a couple minutes to get it done. You can come here and do rub off of an original if you want and go from there. My zip is 28791 if you want to check mileage.

David
Hello,

Thank you and will send a PM.

HVY MTL

im planning to paint my hood and trunk satin black as well as the bottom side. Ive removed all the side trim and plan to run a pin strip where the 2 colors meet. Blue and black and maybe a silver pin stripe for me or maybe red

Back