Painting Rear End

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi Guys,

Can some of you share what you painted your Mustang's rear end with? Epoxy? I have a 72 Mach1.

Black rustoleum. Unless your Goin concourse no one will be starring at your rear!

I had mine powder coated but I used SPI epoxy primer on my undercarraige and engine bay. I would have used it on my rear end but wanted a higher sheen and contrast. I cant say enough good thing about SPI epoxy. The only thing is if its gonna be outside a lot you might want to top coat over it. UV will fade it but mine will always be garage and covered when not in use.

I used POR15 stain black on everything. While the center section was still tacky I sprayed it with red oxide rustoleum for that "concours" look. Came out great.

Chuck, what did you use for the red oxide on the 3rd member?
I think it was VHT P303, red oxide. I'm not 100% certain, couldn't find it in the build records. I tend to use Hi temp paint when I can because they also tolerate gas and oil better than regular enamel. Chuck

Yes, that would be an excellent resource if you are willing to put it together. The megasite has some info, but it's not the easiest to sort through, and isn't really detailed on the how to or where to.

This car is my 5th 71-73 but, it is the only one that I did a complete concours driven restoration on. When I started I thought, with few exceptions, they were all pretty much the same. I was sorely mistaken. There are numerous production changes in any given year let alone the changes from year to year. If I posted a thread it would be valid for one car. Decoding the build sheet for the car is the most accurate way to approach a concours restoration. It is not easy and requires a lot of time. I never did completely decode all the assembly paint daub colors and I really tried. Carefully cleaning any original parts looking for paint colors will help. There are so many small things, like several different alternator and gauge feed harnesses for 72 alone. I bought several of each before I found the right ones. The few published restoration guides, while helpful, contain many errors and omissions and can take a person down the wrong path. I don't want to contribute to taking people down a wrong path. What would be helpful is establishing a collection of build sheets based on production dates and everyone helping to validate the option codes and assembly paint daub colors. My build sheet is about 80% intact I'm sure others have 100% intact build sheets. My limited computer skills eliminates me as being the one to electronically compile the data. I can help with comparing and validating the data. Below is a link to about 100 photos of various parts of the my car. Keep in mind this is a 72 with a build date of 03/16/1972 with specific options.

Chuck

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/c9zx/library/?sort=3&page=1

I used Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Satin and Duplicolor Red Oxide on the center section.

To second Chuck's comments to go truly concourse you need to investigate your car individually. Yes, they run down a production line and are built using production parts. Engineering changes occur throught the production year. You need to document and research your car individually. It may be worth consideration of a concourse catagory in the forum.

05212013 178.jpg

05212013 177.jpg

05212013 179.jpg

P1010410.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Can some of you share what you painted your Mustang's rear end with? Epoxy? I have a 72 Mach1.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Latest posts

Back