Parking brake cable to backing plate -- how?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolznaz

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertible, 351 Cleveland, FMX transmission
While overhauling my brake system I might replace my parking brake cables as well. One is broken anyway so I guess this is the time to do it.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cable from the brake backing plate (drum brakes on the rear)? From the wheel side of things I can see a clip on the cable that almost looks like it was pushed through the hole in the plate and then maybe it springs open to hold the cable in place. Is that correct? If that's the case, is it a one-time-use clip and is there a new one on a new cable or do I need to be careful with this clip and re-use it?

On the under the car side of things there is a rubber boot on the cable as it enters the brake backing plate. I slid that boot up the cable (away from the backing plate) and I see a nut, but it does not have nice edges and is either rounded off from the past or is not meant to be turned with a wrench.

Do you pretty much have to cut the cable to remove it or does this connection disassemble somehow?

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a deep well socket that fits over the tangs and the end of the cable at the drum. Compress the tangs by knocking the socket on. Then yank the cable out the back of the plate. Or, compress each finger with a channel lock and work the cable out until it is free.

Totalled, thank you for the reply. That is a excellent suggestion with the socket and I'll try it.

Edit/Update: Actually, your message described to me how that clip/tangs worked. I was able to use a large flat blade screw driver to move the tangs inward and pull the cable out the back of the plate. Your tip is what got me there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my trick. Two nights ago I wasted more than an hour trying to get the cable out of the drum backing plate. I was so frustrated that I was very close to breaking/cutting all that stuff. Then I decided to forget about it and focus on something else until the next night. I read this thread, but the sockets I had did not fit the end of the wire through. Then I thought, why not use a small hose clamp. It worked like a charm. I wrapped the clamp around the prongs leaving about 1/4" gap between the clamp and plate. Pushed back and slid right away. Then, loosen the clamp a little and finished sliding the prongs out. It took about 2 minutes per side.

Lesson learned, when stuck, take a pause, let things rest, and eventually better ideas and energy will come your way.

Necessity... The mother of invention...

Just be mindful that the replacement cables are slightly different, the spring tangs aren't as long, or as stiff, and I had to reuse a part off my old cables, I forgot which piece so don't throw anything away!!

Back