Parking Brake Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
I'm about to pull the parking brake and either clean it or replace it if it's shot.  Mine wont hold engagement.  It will do so sometimes and other times it wont catch.

Can someone fill me in a bit on the wiring that is supposed to go to the parking brake light switch on the brake mechanism?  My indicator light doesn't go on.

Also, how does one remove the parking brake indicator light on the dashboard?  What wiring is supposed to be leading there and what type of bulb is in there? It looks like maybe I depress a tab on the back and turn?

I see a few wires cut in the driver's foot well. There's a pink wire I believe that just trails off so it should be interesting to see if someone disconnected this light for a reason.  I believe there is a lead still attached to the parking brake light switch so that might be live.  I don't know if the switch itself is still good, there is power to my light and/or if the bulb might be shot in the light.  All my other indicator lights, buzzer etc work so I was hoping to get this one on as well.

We shall see.

Thanks in advance.  

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
The parking brake has a single wire with a 90 deg. round pin plug to connect. The parking brake mechanism is another of those parts on the car that has the phosphate coating with some paint on the lever for the foot pedal. This is so that it does not stick because of paint. I clean them in Molasses and glass bead and do the phosphate again. Gas pedal is also phosphate coated.

I have a spare I just took off a 72 that I believe is good. Have to check to see if I need one for my next build but would sell restored or un restored.

Didn't have a pic after redone but one in the car.

The switch is the white plastic thing with the plunger. Very simple and usually does not go bad. You probably have wire not hooked or bulb out.

The last picture is the one I was taking out of parts car you can see the wire still connected to the switch.

The parking brake has a single wire with a 90 deg. round pin plug to connect. The parking brake mechanism is another of those parts on the car that has the phosphate coating with some paint on the lever for the foot pedal. This is so that it does not stick because of paint. I clean them in Molasses and glass bead and do the phosphate again. Gas pedal is also phosphate coated.

I have a spare I just took off a 72 that I believe is good. Have to check to see if I need one for my next build but would sell restored or un restored.

Didn't have a pic after redone but one in the car.

The switch is the white plastic thing with the plunger. Very simple and usually does not go bad. You probably have wire not hooked or bulb out.

The last picture is the one I was taking out of parts car you can see the wire still connected to the switch.

Thanks David.  I might just take you up on the 72 brake if mines no good and you can part with it. Looks like a white wires going to the switch?  Do you know the color of the wire that heads to the bulb?  (And how do I get that light bezel out of the dash without breaking it?) I might just have a dead bulb in there.

This wiring job may not make Midlife too happy. I got the e brake working. Also found that the bulb, holder warning light switch and ground wire were good on the e brake warning light.

The purple lead going to it was dead. I also found four wires leading nowhere including one where the P.O. tapped into the purple power lead going to that warning light. Looks like he had an alarm or cut off at one time. All that is cleaned up. Then, I got some purple wire of my own. Soldered on a connector and attached it to the accessory post on the fuse box. Soldered in line a fuse with only a 4 amp in it. Soldered to the remaining piece of wire on the warning light socket.

And Presto. Like 4 hours later I have a stupid warning light and a working e brake. I don't think my wife was all that impressed but nice to see that thing light up!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This wiring job may not make Midlife too happy.  I got the e brake working.  Also found that the bulb, holder warning light switch and ground wire were good on the e brake warning light.

The purple lead going to it was dead.  I also found four wires leading nowhere including one where the P.O. tapped into the purple power lead going to that warning light.  Looks like he had an alarm or cut off at one time.  All that is cleaned up.  Then, I got some purple wire of my own. Soldered on a connector and attached it to the accessory post on the fuse box.  Soldered in line a fuse with only a 4 amp in it.  Soldered to the remaining piece of wire on the warning light socket.

And Presto. Like 4 hours later I have a stupid warning light and a working e brake.  I don't think my wife was all that impressed but nice to see that thing light up!

...but we're impressed and that's all that matters!   ;)

This wiring job may not make Midlife too happy.  I got the e brake working.  Also found that the bulb, holder warning light switch and ground wire were good on the e brake warning light.

The purple lead going to it was dead.  I also found four wires leading nowhere including one where the P.O. tapped into the purple power lead going to that warning light.  Looks like he had an alarm or cut off at one time.  All that is cleaned up.  Then, I got some purple wire of my own. Soldered on a connector and attached it to the accessory post on the fuse box.  Soldered in line a fuse with only a 4 amp in it.  Soldered to the remaining piece of wire on the warning light socket.

And Presto. Like 4 hours later I have a stupid warning light and a working e brake.  I don't think my wife was all that impressed but nice to see that thing light up!

...but we're impressed and that's all that matters!   ;)
That feels better now!

Back