PCB Wiring harness for 71 Mustang??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neurotoxin312

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang 351w
Hi there, 

I am in the process of refurbishing the gauge cluster on my 71 mustang. At this point, the fuel gauge and tach doesn't work and I would really like to have them! Upon further investigation, I realized that whats known as the the "printed circuit board wiring harness" was damaged a few pins corroded off. They also seem terribly difficult to find... does anyone know where I could get this part OR perhaps get rid of the PCB setup all together? 

Thanks!

We are fortunate to have our own electrical expert on these vehicles. Midlife is a Forum member/Vender on this site and has probably forgotten more than most people will ever know about automotive electrical systems. Would probably be a good ideal to contact him to see if that connector can be repaired or since that connector looks so bad if the whole harness needs to be refurbed. I believe he also offers a service where the printed circuit can be eliminated and the cluster hard wired. http://midlifeharness.com/welcome.html

I can replace the entire PCB with hard-wired dash cluster harnesses.  See this post if inerested:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-the-instrument-cluster-be-hard-wired
Hello Midlife,

Very Impressive wiring there! One question, how do you configure the pod harness to the main harness?

mustang7173
One has to cut the underdash harness at the dash cluster pins, add pins to a molex quick-disconnect connector, and do the same on the dash cluster side.  These connectors are similar to the 3 gauge center cluster connector if you have that cluster.

Hello Midlife,

I was going to say, would it not be cheaper to purchase the "Instrument Cluster Circuit Board With Tachometer 1971-1973" from a reputable vendor? After, going back to your original post, I see you have already answered my questions. I am also having lighting issues with my pod. Fortunately, I have several used pods stashed back to replace my Instrument Cluster Circuit Board. Have you sold any of the new style harness since you created the harness?

Thanks,

mustang7173

Hello Midlife,

One advantage I see is when trying to remove the pod, you do not have the cumbersome plug to disconnect.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Back