perfect aftermarket overflow tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumb question guys. I have the same tank and what is the second nipple for ( keep it clean). I am guessing it is a vent, but what keeps it from dripping out? I can blow air through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good question. ::thumb::

Another thing I was wondering: what happens with an overflow tank, anyway? I understand the concept that when the cap is under pressure, it will compress enough to allow air/steam/fluid to pass out through the overflow tube into the hose and into the overflow tank, relieving the pressure and hopefully helping cool the car a little bit as well.

But once that fluid has found its way to the tank, then what? Does it ever find its way back into the radiator? If so, I don't understand how, since the radiator cap blocks the overflow tube when the system isn't under pressure, and when it is [compressed under pressure] it's pushing fluid out, rather than back in.

That's why I'm thinking Ford didn't put an overflow system on the car. The cooling system was believed to be adequate and rather than suck air back into the system, the overflow tube was "exit only" because of its proximity to the radiator cap. :chin:

Back in the day, they expected people to actually pay attention to vehicle maintenance... unlike these days with all the disposable cars and their sealed coolant systems, 100K mile maintenance widows, ECUs that can detect mouse farts, and Check Engine Lights that only come on when the mouse actually craps itself (or a tire is low).

If I'm way off base, please chime in. This is a question I've had ever since I first ordered my Moroso bottle (which still has not been installed as I write this). :shootself:

The extra tube is to provide pressure relief for the overflow tube. If the tube was fully enclosed, when water enters the vessel, the air would have to compress. What happens when water fills the tube and there's no place for the air to go? Ka-boom...

Now then...the radiator cap design is different for an open and closed (old) system. In the open design, water can flow out and when the radiator cools, it creates a vacuum inside the radiator and draws the water back out of the overflow tank.

How do you tell an open from a closed radiator cap? Easy...there are two gaskets for the open version and one for the closed system.

And now...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

The extra tube is to provide pressure relief for the overflow tube. If the tube was fully enclosed, when water enters the vessel, the air would have to compress. What happens when water fills the tube and there's no place for the air to go? Ka-boom...
I get how it works but since the vent is also on the bottom, I don't see why it doesn't run out through the vent. Is it because suction is required?

Examine the vessel carefully. I'll bet the bottom vent enters the chamber and the opening it close to the cap, not the bottom. One tube should accept the radiator fluid and that should also be at the bottom, and just enters the bottom of the vessel and not much further.

Examine the vessel carefully. I'll bet the bottom vent enters the chamber and the opening it close to the cap, not the bottom. One tube should accept the radiator fluid and that should also be at the bottom, and just enters the bottom of the vessel and not much further.
Cool. I had figured out you were right (poured water in), but hadn't figured why. Now I can see the tube inside.

770c5d23f2403a43484f5b0595400aaa.jpg

Another thing I was wondering: what happens with an overflow tank, anyway? I understand the concept that when the cap is under pressure, it will compress enough to allow air/steam/fluid to pass out through the overflow tube into the hose and into the overflow tank, relieving the pressure and hopefully helping cool the car a little bit as well.

But once that fluid has found its way to the tank, then what? Does it ever find its way back into the radiator? If so, I don't understand how, since the radiator cap blocks the overflow tube when the system isn't under pressure, and when it is [compressed under pressure] it's pushing fluid out, rather than back in.

That's why I'm thinking Ford didn't put an overflow system on the car. The cooling system was believed to be adequate and rather than suck air back into the system, the overflow tube was "exit only" because of its proximity to the radiator cap. :chin:

Back in the day, they expected people to actually pay attention to vehicle maintenance... unlike these days with all the disposable cars and their sealed coolant systems, 100K mile maintenance widows, ECUs that can detect mouse farts, and Check Engine Lights that only come on when the mouse actually craps itself (or a tire is low).

If I'm way off base, please chime in. This is a question I've had ever since I first ordered my Moroso bottle (which still has not been installed as I write this). :shootself:
I was wondering the same. Why the need?

In the hot Texas summers, cars will run a little hot, especially when you run your AC. For me, I prefer not to constantly add fluid to the system as It will cough it up often.

In the hot Texas summers, cars will run a little hot, especially when you run your AC. For me, I prefer not to constantly add fluid to the system as It will cough it up often.

Interesting as I live outside San Antonio (Boerne) with AC and have never had an issue. This in a 73 Q code.

I found a perfect fit aftermarket rad overflow tank from Speedway Motors. part # 91102210. brakets fit the existing screw holes in rad support. also looks good. had to fit a small piece of rubber hose inside a bigger piece to fit the male fitting on the tank bottom.
Know this post is a couple years old but just wanted to say thanks for sharing. Ordered mine yesterday.

Latest posts

Back