Performer 4V Intake Modification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the cutout on the dividing wall in the Air Gap intake? I want to do the same to my Performer 351 4V. Thank's

Last edited by a moderator:

5/8" deep

7129.jpg

Hey Omie01, check the video in my post "carb change" it's on the 2nd page of the thread. It shows the differences with and without the dividing wall modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on DonC's post. If you want to experiment, try a 1/2-1 inch open spacer under the carb. If it doesn't get you the results you wanted it is easily reversed. Chuck

Looks like I have to add a spacer for the throttle linkage to clear intake runner anyway. I plan on adding a 1" spacer 1st to see how it is.
i would add a phenolic spacer instead of an aluminum one to reduce carb/fuel heating . . you can tap them for a pcv valve if needed.

The spacer I used on my performer is just an inch alloy one with the divider in the middle, runs beautifully, pulls well especially down low (then again I'm not really interested in driving hard these days) Personally I can't see any real use in doing that mod if you're going to use an open spacer anyway, as that space under your carb would be working similar as removing that area from the divider in the intake. Also I remember many years ago, people doing a mod of removing most of the divider on a performer intake that was supposed to be good for a cheap power gain. I knew of one guy who did this and he reckoned it was a load of BS and the car actually lost power. If you look at a Shelby/Blue Thunder dual plain for a Cleveland, the only place they are machined is on the divider, in between the secondaries and these intakes are a standard type (no air gap) dual plane, and these intakes are known for making power until around 6800 RPM mark.

Back