Pertronix Ignition problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just for additional info.. i'm using pertronix. don't recall what model but it ain't new. brother had lay'n around and installed it. and i did NO wiring changes, NO coil changes.. nothing.. it is running off the resistor wire just as the points did. again removed points and installed pertronix and works just fine. tach works fine too. and i get around 20mpg on a trip.

just for additional info.. i'm using pertronix. don't recall what model but it ain't new. brother had lay'n around and installed it. and i did NO wiring changes, NO coil changes.. nothing.. it is running off the resistor wire just as the points did.  again removed points and installed pertronix and works just fine. tach works fine too. and i get around 20mpg on a trip.
I think I'm right in saying this, if it's black it's a P I and they CAN run on resisted current. PII's are red and SHOULD have a full 12 V according to Pertronix leaflet which states "Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistors or resistance wires. To achieve optimum performance from the Ignitor II ignition system, we recommended removal of these components."

It also states that the P II can be used in conjunction with MOST ignition coils rated at 0.6 Ohms or greater. For optimum performance, purchase and install the Flame-Thrower II high performance coil.

Geoff.

just for additional info.. i'm using pertronix. don't recall what model but it ain't new. brother had lay'n around and installed it. and i did NO wiring changes, NO coil changes.. nothing.. it is running off the resistor wire just as the points did.  again removed points and installed pertronix and works just fine. tach works fine too. and i get around 20mpg on a trip.
Then you have a Pertronix 1 module. They are pretty much a direct replacement for the points and condenser. You can still use factory coil. Factory tach works like normal, no need to modify anything.

Well It hit me like a ton of bricks in the middle of the night. I get it now! “Leave the OEM coil installed as normal (can’t use the Pertronix coil, not enough resistance) BUT... run the Ignitor II + lead to a keyed hot source” Thanks midlife!

Back