Petronix Ignitor Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
2001 Mustang Bullitt
2000 BMW Z3 M Coupe
1974 Porsche 914
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, so be nice please!

I am in the middle of hooking up a Petronix Ignitor 3 system in my 1971 Mustang with a 302. However, I am having a heck of a time (have spent literally all day) trying to find the ballast resistor/ resistor wire. Do our cars actually have this wire or ballast resistor? If so, where is it?

My next question, is (in the picture below, where the long chrome rod is pointing) is the red wire next to the pink and green wire 12v all the time? Can I splice to this wire to achieve the constant 12v requirement of the petronix?

Thanks and hope you can help!

DomX8v.jpg

the pink wire is the ignition ballast resistor wire.

no you can not use the other wire for 12v . . it goes to your senders.

you can splice a wire at the ignition switch where the pink wire connects and use a scotch lock if necessary and tun that wire to the coil . . i hope you have a high voltage coil.

the pink wire is the ignition ballast resistor wire.

no you can not use the other wire for 12v . . it goes to your senders.

you can splice a wire at the ignition switch where the pink wire connects and use a scotch lock if necessary and tun that wire to the coil . . i hope you have a high voltage coil.
Hello,

No I do not have a high Voltage Coil (As far as I know).

So the only way I can make this work is by splicing into the ignition switch (under the dash) and running it through the firewall? Much more work than I thought it was going to be....

Thanks

So where is the ignition switch?

I know it is on the lower part of the steering column. More importantly, where is the connector for the ignition switch?

Which wire do I use? I could probably figure it out but it sure would be nice knowing what I am looking for before I get under the dash.

Pics would be really nice.

Ignition switch is on top of the lower steering column. The ignition wire is red with light green tracer. Tap into it right at the switch connector with a new wire to run your per tonic and keep the resistance wire to the coil. Pertronix has the wiring diagrams on their site. I'm running the P3 on my 73 convertible this way.

So I will get into the footwell and look for the red/ltgrn tracer wire.

Thanks for the help.

There's another wire you can tap that might be a bit easier to access. There's a green/red wire at the end of the headlight harness that plugs into the alternator harness (I think). It's a two pin plug with only one wire on it. This wire is hot only when the key is in RUN position.

There's another wire you can tap that might be a bit easier to access. There's a green/red wire at the end of the headlight harness that plugs into the alternator harness (I think). It's a two pin plug with only one wire on it. This wire is hot only when the key is in RUN position.
car needs 12v in start position too.

It gets the 12V in the crank position via the brown wire at the starter solenoid. Just cut the pink resistor wire (tape both ends), tap onto the wire onto the headlight harness, route to coil, keeping the existing coil wire. The existing coil wire has the brown starter solenoid wire in its circuit.

Back