pinion angle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your pinion angle is zero with the car just sitting?

depending on other variables, you should have typically have around 3 1/2 degrees of pinion angle with the car sitting. the more load that is applied to the pinion, the higher the nose of it will rise due to leaf spring flex etc. if the angle is 3 1/2 degrees with the car sitting, it will be less than that when driving with steady throttle at any speed.

Zero degrees in reference to what?

What two points are you measuring the angle between?
Basically  I measured three points. Transmission, driveshaft, and rear housing. Using both a starrett angle meter and the app from tremec. Both showed the same. Neither positive or negative angle. Everything I have read is that you need, depending on the article, is 2-4 degrees with the car sitting. Just looking for opinions.

Zero degrees in reference to what?

What two points are you measuring the angle between?
Basically  I measured three points. Transmission, driveshaft, and rear housing. Using both a starrett angle meter and the app from tremec. Both showed the same. Neither positive or negative angle. Everything I have read is that you need, depending on the article, is 2-4 degrees with the car sitting. Just looking for opinions.
Roy, I think you are having to much trouble with the car lately

You have had it for several years , had lots of fun, maybe it's time to get rid of the headaches.

You can send it down here to Ohio and I will " park " it in the shop for you

Then you can just enjoy riding around in Stacey's car ... in the passenger seat - no worries - no headaches :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Seriously, throw a pair of 2 degree shims under the leaf spring mounts on the axle to point the snout downward and put a 1/8th inch spacer under the transmission mount (on top of the crossmember :D ) and you'll be fine and you will even hook up a bit better in all likelihood.

If the driveshaft is just dead straight like you describe you shouldn't have any vibration issues. Only catch is that you will wear the joints themselves out earlier as the needles will wear in one spot. I'd just run it.

Roy, I think you are having to much trouble with the car lately

You have had it for several years , had lots of fun, maybe it's time to get rid of the headaches.

You can send it down here to Ohio and I will " park " it in the shop for you

Then you can just enjoy riding around in Stacey's car ... in the passenger seat - no worries - no headaches :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Obviously you have never rode with her. Promise I will break it before I will "park" it. But I appreciate the offer and the return trip offered by Jeff but for now I will pass.

If the driveshaft is just dead straight like you describe you shouldn't have any vibration issues.  Only catch is that you will wear the joints themselves out earlier as the needles will wear in one spot.  I'd just run it.
Getting ready to do a suspension update so I will address it more after all the changes have been made. So yes I will drive it for now

If the driveshaft is just dead straight like you describe you shouldn't have any vibration issues.  Only catch is that you will wear the joints themselves out earlier as the needles will wear in one spot.  I'd just run it.
Getting ready to do a suspension update so I will address it more after all the changes have been made. So yes I will drive it for now
Tnfastbk,

I already had a digital angle finder and decided to get some numbers from my 71 fastback with toploader.

Trans output shaft + 3.0 degrees

driveshaft              -  1.7 degrees

pinion shaft           -   1.0 degrees

the spicer calculator shows angle 1 @ 4.4 degrees

angle 2 shows @.7 degrees

looks like I will be getting some pinion shims soon

Anyone have a clue why the trans. output shaft would be + 2.7 degrees ?

my car originally had a 302 and automatic and I swapped the toploader from a 73 Mach.

all original parts.

no vibrations at any speed, added staggered rear shocks and under ride traction bars

3.50 gears and 255/60r15 tires.

no wheel hop what so ever, but the car simply will NOT hook up.

lots of torque from my Barnett racing 408 C.

complete smoke fest in 1st and 2nd gears from a 1500 rpm standing start.

Suggestions welcome.

Boilermaster

Have you considered some sort of traction device such as a set of caltracs? They are a little spendy at about $340 but I did see someone posted somewhere how to make a set.

Have you considered some sort of traction device such as a set of caltracs? They are a little spendy at about $340 but I did see someone posted somewhere how to make a set.
73 pony,

already have Tin mans subframe connectors with his under ride traction bars.

was looking into caltracs though.

Going to try my best with driveline angles first (hopefully with a little help from the forum )

Boilermaster

How do you like the tinman subframe connectors? How was fit and installation?
73pony,

Tinman's subframe connectors fit and install great.

Most people can't bend over enough to see that they are installed on my car.

One added extra , they made my car quieter going down the road.

Boilermaster

Tnfastbk,

I already had a digital angle finder and decided to get some numbers from my 71 fastback with toploader.

my car originally had a 302 and automatic and I swapped the toploader from a 73 Mach.

all original parts.

no vibrations at any speed, added staggered rear shocks and under ride traction bars

Suggestions welcome.

Boilermaster

The reason I started looking at mine was I do have somewhat of a vibration. That being said if I had no vibration I believe I would leave that alone. As far as traction goes I run the Caltrac setup and they eliminated all my wheel hop but 1st and 2nd could be totally useless if I so choose and I run an 18x9.5inch rear with a 275/40zr tire . So as far as traction goes I think with the 15inch wheel that's just life,sorry to say.

delete my

Tnfastbk,

all original parts.

Suggestions welcome.

Boilermaster
Boilmaster,

You have a Barnett 408?  As in Tim Barnett?  When did he build it? how's it holding up? What heads did you use?

Latest posts

Back