poor handling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandeutekom

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertable
[url=https://ibb.co/6vpqcCd][img]https://i.ibb.co/28Lp04b/sexy.jpg[/img][/url]
1986 mustang convert
1976 mgb
Hoping this group can give me some ideas. I have replaced the steering box and strut rod bushings on my 72 convertible. The rest of the suspension and steering show no signs of wear and is tight. I have also adjusted the wheel bearings. Have had the car aligned to these specs Caster +2.5, Camber 0, toe 1/8". The problem is that the car wants to veer either to the right or left when the front suspension unloads in a large road dip or whoop de doo. Only happens on severe dips but it is quite disconcerting. I am thinking maybe motor or transmission mounts?

Not sure what year it changed, but alot of older cars alignment specs were for bias ply tires. I've heard that radials tend to wander a little and need slightly different specs.

If you actually have positive 2.5° of caster, you should be good with radials. The only time I experienced what you are is when a shop put in *negative* caster. That was downright frightening.

I used the total control products bump steer eliminator tie rod ends on a couple of my old cars. They work well and i was able to dial them in to get the bumpsteer down to just a few thousandths of an inch over the whole travel of the suspension.

I used the total control products bump steer eliminator tie rod ends on a couple of my old cars. They work well and i was able to dial them in to get the bumpsteer down to just a few thousandths of an inch over the whole travel of the suspension.
Certainly sounds like bump steer which these cars exhibit. I used TCP’s bump steer kit along with their upper and lower control arms and strut rods, etc. The car is awesome and we were able to eliminate all bump steer.

Rob

Figuring that I had nothing to loose I adjusted both strut rods shorter by 4 complete turns of the bolts on both sides. The car was instantly transformed. I could feel the difference just pulling out of the driveway. Obviously whatever the alignment shop had set as castor was wrong. The car is a pleasure to drive again. Thanks for all the help in leading me in the right direction

Back