power steering hard line at pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Any Idea what the hard (metal)line on the back of the power steering pump is called or where I could get one?

This is about 6 or 8 inch line that connects the back of the pump and the other end goes to the pressure hose on my '72. It has a couple bends in it:huh:

I believe the one you refer to is part of the pressure line assembly.
I found it, it's called a pressure line tube outlet assembly.now just gotta find one. Ford part number D1ZA-3E576-AC

Last edited by a moderator:
the hard line on the backside of the pump which is the high pressure line isn't being reproduced. you have to source it from a donor.

i had one that i gave away a couple of years ago.

the power steering pump, has a hard line with threaded fittings that come out the back and that joins to a separate threaded fitting that connects the pump hard line to the high pressure line to the steering box the lines to the power steering box are reproduced however nobody has the correct shape of OEM for those lines.

there is also a special clip that holds the hardlines at the power steering box parallel to each other so you can tighten them down properly and have them sit correctly.

the low pressure return line that is reproduced does not have the correct rubber hose length to it. originally that hose is super long as it goes into a holder on the drivers side shock tower re-enforcement brace it makes a U turn then goes back to low pressure side of the power steering pump. that U is power steering cooler it drops the temp of the trans fluid in the power steering system slightly before dumping it back into the pump.

if you have a power steering cooler it takes the place of that extra long hose and there is a A/C and non-A/C car version of that cooler.

the backside of the power steering pump also has a special bracket that holds the hardline and supports it correctly.

my car had none of the original parts and i had to get parts from a couple of donors to complete the system as factory intended.

some repops of the hoses connect the high pressure directly to the back of the pump that is not correct but it does work. otherwise factory has a 3 piece high pressure side connection and low pressure is a 1 piece back to the pump.

the hard line on the backside of the pump which is the high pressure line isn't being reproduced. you have to source it from a donor.

the power steering pump, has a hard line with threaded fittings that come out the back and that joins to a separate threaded fitting that connects the pump hard line to the high pressure line to the steering box the lines to the power steering box are reproduced however nobody has the correct shape of OEM for those lines.

there is also a special clip that holds the hardlines at the power steering box parallel to each other so you can tighten them down properly and have them sit correctly.

the low pressure return line that is reproduced does not have the correct rubber hose length to it. originally that hose is super long as it goes into a holder on the drivers side shock tower re-enforcement brace it makes a U turn then goes back to low pressure side of the power steering pump. that U is power steering cooler it drops the temp of the trans fluid in the power steering system slightly before dumping it back into the pump.

if you have a power steering cooler it takes the place of that extra long hose and there is a A/C and non-A/C car version of that cooler.

the backside of the power steering pump also has a special bracket that holds the hardline and supports it correctly.

my car had none of the original parts and i had to get parts from a couple of donors to complete the system as factory intended.

some repops of the hoses connect the high pressure directly to the back of the pump that is not correct but it does work. otherwise factory has a 3 piece high pressure side connection and low pressure is a 1 piece back to the pump.
Thanks for the info....I do have the long pressure line and I have it looped and bracketed to that brace like you described. I also have the bracket to support that hard line on the back of the pump. I can see where the bracket has worn into the line and there is a pretty good wear mark there.

After putting everything together yesterday and starting the engine to bleed the steering system, I saw 2 leaks, one from the back of the pump at the connection and one where that hard line connects to the pressure hose. Both of these leaks have that tube in common. I disconnected the lines from the pump and re tightened them, that is when I saw the little wear mark on the line. I was tightening everything back up to re check it and while tightening the last bolt for the pump belt adjustment, I somehow stripped the bolt, (the lower one that goes to the bracket)

Tell me more about the "3 piece" pressure hose from the factory.

Humm,,, did you strip the thread on the back of the pump or the threaded nut to the hose?

The pump housing if I remember has the back of the steering pump that holds the fluid goes over the threaded part, there is a gasket, then a large thin nut, seals the pump next the bracket goes on and then a second nut.

That holds the braket in place next the hard line goes on the back side. If the bracket is loose I know it's really hard to tighten the hard line down.

Have to see if I have pictures on my hard drive.

When I assembled my pump I put the rear hard line together on the bench so I could tighten everything up, it was then I discovered there was a missing 3rd piece a coupler between the rear hard line off the pump and the line to the steering box.

Thanks for the info....I do have the long pressure line and I have it looped and bracketed to that brace like you described. I also have the bracket to support that hard line on the back of the pump. I can see where the bracket has worn into the line and there is a pretty good wear mark there.

After putting everything together yesterday and starting the engine to bleed the steering system, I saw 2 leaks, one from the back of the pump at the connection and one where that hard line connects to the pressure hose. Both of these leaks have that tube in common. I disconnected the lines from the pump and re tightened them, that is when I saw the little wear mark on the line. I was tightening everything back up to re check it and while tightening the last bolt for the pump belt adjustment, I somehow stripped the bolt, (the lower one that goes to the bracket)

Humm,,, did you strip the thread on the back of the pump or the threaded nut to the hose?

The pump housing if I remember has the back of the steering pump that holds the fluid goes over the threaded part, there is a gasket, then a large thin nut, seals the pump next the bracket goes on and then a second nut.

That holds the braket in place next the hard line goes on the back side. If the bracket is loose I know it's really hard to tighten the hard line down.

Have to see if I have pictures on my hard drive.

When I assembled my pump I put the rear hard line together on the bench so I could tighten everything up, it was then I discovered there was a missing 3rd piece a coupler between the rear hard line off the pump and the line to the steering box.

After removing the pump, cleaning the threads on male end of the tube, and using teflon tape on the threads of the tube, and the fitting on the back of the pump, re installing and retightening everything, no leaks after driving around.

hey that is good news keep an eye on it from time to time.
You're telling me! I had replaced everything in the suspension and steering except the drag link. It took all summer with the normal frustrations and parts problems at every turn.

Then I start it up again finally, and "drip, drip, drip". I was ready to sell it and go on a cruise with the money. But as usual, you step away from it, take a deep breath, and attack it again the next day....all is well for now. Today or tomorrow I take it for an alignment.....thanks

i had brake leaks for 7 years.... fun times.

lol
Aligned and within limits, one small problem though. The camber bolt eccentric washer under the nut on the left side is cracked, and both sides of the camber bolt "u" shaped flanges that hold the washers in place are slightly bent on both left and right sides. I will live with that for a while as it is the end of the car season and everything is tight now. It drives straight as an arrow.

i got really close to factory replacement steering hoses from 'gates'

as for the cam bolts, AMK sells them through various distributors. the u shaped pieces are part of the engine cradle cross member motor mount so you would have to beat them back into shape by dropping the lower suspension arm. i had to have my engine cradle cross member completely replaced due to rust and curb damage.

drive it like you stole it :)

FYI, the parts store replacement hoses do not have the correct routing/bends at the steering box to reuse the factory retainer bracket.
Yes, I still have my retainer on the work bench, no way to attach it to the lines, as well as the lines them selves have a plastic corrugated sheath that will not allow you to use the rubber insulator in the clamp on the shock tower brace...(I have the long pressure hose). I was able to loop it through the clamp without the insulator. I could prolly cut a small section out of the sheathing and use the insulator. I may put that on my list.

as for the cam bolts, AMK sells them through various distributors. the u shaped pieces are part of the engine cradle cross member motor mount so you would have to beat them back into shape by dropping the lower suspension arm. i had to have my engine cradle cross member completely replaced due to rust and curb damage.

The guy at the alignment shop suggested welding a piece metal there. They are so old they would probably break off by bashing them back into place. Thankfully they are very accessable.....this is also on my long range to do list.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have them

Item #F-1515

68-73 LOWER CONTROL ARM ECCENTRIC MOUNTING KIT

8 Piece Kit. Lower control arms to shock tower cam bolts, eccentrics, nuts and washers. Price: $20.00

Back