Power steering pulley problem..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
Am I missing something? I ordered a new power steering pump and took it (and the old pump) to a shop to have the the pulley removed (and installed on the new pump). After I installed the new pump and connected the lines. Then I filled the pump, primed it and installed the belt. I then started the car can was starting to turn the wheel back and forth when the pulley popped off. WTF?.. Is the pulley just pressed on? Has this ever happened to anyone?

How it that possible? I didn't remove them from the box and at the pump itself, one screws on (the feed I believe) and one just slips on and is held on with the hose clamp..

As for the pulley, it's just pressed on, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
How it that possible? I didn't remove them from the box and at the pump itself, one screws on (the feed I believe) and one just slips on and is held on with the hose clamp..

As for the pulley, it's just pressed on, right?
Yes the pulley just presses on, it should be flush with the nose of the shaft when installed. The pulley should not just pop off. I would bet the shop didn't do it right.

My bad...it was early in the AM when I read your post, reading that your wheel turned back and forth. I did not read that the pulley popped off. I'm sorry to have mislead you and anyone else. OMG...time for me to shut up!

Lol.. No problem..

That sucks, but it's true... there is a special power steering pulley installation/removal tool and the depth of the pulley installation is adjustable to some degree.

My bad...it was early in the AM when I read your post, reading that your wheel turned back and forth. I did not read that the pulley popped off. I'm sorry to have mislead you and anyone else. OMG...time for me to shut up!
"A standard problem seen by hobbyists" ;)

Been there, done that...

Are all 351c pulleys the same? My pulley has a slight crack in it.

Back