Power Steering Pump leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghia1974

Reaction score
My 71 Coupe is leaking fluid from the power steering pump. The leak is not coming from the return line, so the only other culprit would be the pressure side. Not sure if the pump is original or aftermarket. I’m a newbie so i have no clue what the pressure hose configuration should look like, however the present arrangement  doesn’t seem like a factory set up. The car did originally come with power steering so it wasn’t a conversion. The outside fitting is tight. Not sure if there is an o ring that might have failed. Any advice would be appreciated.872A4B15-4C3D-4004-8038-C8D3EABCCE3B.jpeg

05B5BF16-5706-4A6C-A220-217E510F6ADF.jpeg

The places your pump could be leaking from are - the pressure line which is an jic fitting.   Try loosing it and then retighten.   There is the return which you said is fine.  Make sure the tube isn't leaking where it is brazed onto the canister.  The rear nut up against the canister.  This is what holds the pump in the canister.  There is a internal seal between the pump and canister housing.   Make sure the nut is tight.   Not the easiest to get to.   There is an outer o ring that seals the front of the pump to the canister and there is the shaft seal behind the pulley.   Try drying everything and the start tracing it at these locations.  Good luck.

This does not seem to be the best design, with so many potential leak paths. Accessing the inner fittings seems next impossible. Worst of all is the leaking fluid gets all over the the place on my nice clean engine compt😜

Good News! the pump to hose ‘S’-tube is now available from NPD and solved my leaking problem. Beware some aftermarket and NAPA custom hydraulic fittings can be beveled 37 degrees and not the 45 degrees the pump outlet fitting has, causing a leak. The NPD S-tube has the correct fittings to match the pump outlet and aftermarket pressure hose fittings and fits perfectly while correctly re-routing The pressure hose away from the hot exhaust manifold.

Back