Powerful cars are not for kids

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those of us who survived the "wonder years" (aka wonder if they will survive) had some experiences! the Monoco with the 383 reminds me of my brother driving a 59 Dodge he picked up from some ole farmer. The engine bay was like opening a barn door....but the big block spread out in that thing like paws on a bear. Probably a 383 if I had to guess. He was about 16 so I was 9 he missed his calling cuz that dude would throw that car full speed into a gravel road and I got to tell you I was confused between absolutely terror and thrill of speed. It had a speedometer that was straight across and and a bar would extend from 0 to whatever as it passed 55 or so it would start turning red...which with him behind the wheel was the color of choice.

My first car was a sell-me-down (got it for cheap from my parents). 1983 Toyota Celica GT. Fun car without the power. Never been in a major wreck (just a few accidents). If anything, the 71 Mach 1 is the most powerful car I've ever driven and even then at age 40, I don't plan on doing too many burn outs. Just a 1/4 mile run at a track once in a while and maybe an autocross just to show that big cars can turn too.

As for my kids, my stepson is a blessing in that he's only interested in small cars. He doesn't seem to have any interest in high horsepower, high torque type cars. That's hella funny cause he's taller than I am. If I still have it, he can buy my Miata off me. Hopefully he will still fit somehow, lol.

It's my 6 yr old that worries me. He only wants muscle cars. He's already eyeing my Mach 1. I think I'll let him buy an old MKII Supra at most and see if he can handle it. Just that he and his buddies better not drop a 2JZ-GTE in there. :mad:

My dad started building a 88 LX convertible to give me when i turned 16. Built 331, 5 speed, 3.73 gears, cobra brakes, the works. I ended up with a new 03 cobra. Still have it. I never wrecked it, the Lord knows I had some close calls. But my dad got into an accident 2 months after he bought the car.

I plan on raising my son or daughter to respect powerful things.

I ask my oldest "where did this new found fascination for speed come from" Diddy...speed limits are for people without badges! :s:D:D:D

I had to start with a POS as a first car, saved very hard earned money to buy a 56 Chebbie and it was 150.00! fast forward my fastest cars were the 56 and its 409, a 63 Falcon with a 302 and 4 speed from a Maverick GT, my 65 Malibu SS, a 67 coupe with a 302 built by Bob McGraw's AER https://www.aermanufacturing.com/about/aertoday.html

and now my 71, I suppose I really respected speed and was selective when I used it. a fun experience was a 70 LS6 4speed car I borrowed from a friend at the truck stop where we worked. He wanted to drive the 56 and I wanted to drive the LS6. I got it straight in the road and dumped the clutch....I was a pretty good driver and it turned all kinds of ways with me. that thing would scoot sideways in 2nd as if it was a sitting stop take off. That car put a capital F in fun. One of my brothers got out of the Marines, went to work at Police dept, his first major purchase, a 69 GTO that was SCARY FAST

Back