Prep prior to paint.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just going to add this in an edit to the above post but decided it needed to be addressed separately.

Just purchased the trio of VHT products, following their recipe of color primer, paint, clearcoat. This does require a curing process of varying temps and times. I.e. Paint must be completely dry before curing
  • Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
  • Cool for 30 minutes
  • Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
  • Cool for 30 minutes
  • Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes
Has anyone ever used their household oven to perform this?

The reason being would be its controlled times and temps. The only caveat is, to reach the 650deg. requires the self-clean cycle. Ours will run at 880deg. so that is over the temp in the instructions.

Under the instruction for the parts being on the vehicle, the last step is under normal operating conditions and I'm guessing that temp would be above 880deg?

So theoretically, I can use the self-clean and then cut off at 30 minutes?

Not worried too much about fumes, we have a very good cooking exhaust hood. Works well when for a stovetop smoke or cedar plank entrée so hopefully it will draw the same.
I do like the idea of the garage range tho. I thought of powder coating some parts but opted out because of the cost above painting. Just do not have the space either.
For what it’s worth, if I was 15 years younger and planning a future project, let’s say a 1972 mustang convertible, that’d be ideal. 😜

I was just thinking, my Traeger smoker can maintain 650°F. Not sure if the smoke would affect the finish but low smoke pellets like post oak may work. :unsure:
Hmm, look good at smells good too. Just remember to avoid grabbing the sauce mop unless it's to apply more paint.

Seriously though, if your grill generated heat with only gas (propane or natural) and without any residual smoke, that would work. It's the same principle of turning your grille into an oven after a severe storm knocks out power. Actually, had to do that in 2011 for 8 days. Just need to use a hard-fired masonry bricks as the deck for an indirect heat source. Too bad we have a weber kettle. No way without smoke.

Back