Problems with gauges on mach 1 -72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johan_89

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 - 72 with 460 and c6
Hello
I have a problem with my original gauges in my mach 1 -72 after I took my instrument cluster out. The temp gauges shows that the engine temp is too high when the engine gets hot. The meter goes to the top even if the engine is not overheated. It's happening after a few minutes when i drive in my neighborhood. I have checked the water circulation and it works. Also my oil pressure and fuel gauges shows to much. Something must have happened when I took my instrument cluster out.

Offhand it sounds like the IVR is not grounded correctly or is failing. A bad IVR will make the gauges (Oil, Temp, Fuel) all go to high.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/gauges-101.40104/#post-401023
You were right. The gauges works again after I just rubbed with my fingers on the voltage regulators connection. Some owner before me had put electric tape on it so probably there are some issue with it. I have ordered a new one and also a new circuit from ebay because my instrument lights also works bad. Thanks for helping!

I have already replaced them but the light is weak and it's only a few that lights at all. I think the problem is the heat from the bulb after many years. I also left the turn signal indicator.

There's a couple issues with the cluster lighting. The blue diffusers melt from heat and turn brown. The inside of the cluster, which was originally a bright white plastic, yellows with age. You also have dirty contacts on the PC film and the sockets.

A simple fix is to disassemble the cluster, clean and paint the inside of the housings with gloss white spray paint, and replace the melted/burned diffusers with new or good used parts. Replace all the bulbs with new 194s and thing brighten up considerably.

1691502055733.png

I have already replaced them but the light is weak and it's only a few that lights at all. I think the problem is the heat from the bulb after many years. I also left the turn signal indicator.
NPD has the new light filters to replace your melted and burned ones.

Back