Proper zolatone trunk paint for early 71?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code, light pewter 4 spd. ram air, no stripes, no spoiler, deluxe or sport interior needs compete restoration .
Hello, I need to paint my trunk, read many threads but none come out and state which zolatone paint is closest to the proper 1971 trunk color. In most threads people cannot agree if it should be light or dark. I like the colors shown in 429 site but no advice on actual paint available. Picture is from an untouched early 71 package tray to illustrate spatter color I am looking for. I plan on ordering from TCP or summit site . Perhaps the GM grey and black? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6126.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yeah I looked as well and found the end of the internet for that code quickly. Your example seems dark to me. The research I did 13 years ago led me to believe 1971 was light grey with flecks and the 1972 was dark grey with flecks. I hope you find an answer. BTW, the Zolatone I used back then did not cover very well. I ended up using a whole quart in the trunk. Chuck

Back