trunk paint revisited

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
There hasn't been any updates to the trunk paint threads in several year. The standard seem to be Zolatone but the no longer make the correct formula. I have a 73 but a 71 color would work. Just figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

I use the Duplicolor light grey speckle trunk paint.. Then, spray a clear coat over it.. Best results with satin clear coat, or you can use the gloss..

Hi Jim,

The original trunk floor finish or color, was a darkish grey speckled finish if i'm not mistaken. That finish can be duplicated by spraying a solid dark grey color down first, and then using a low pressure gun technique, apply a random, but even light spatter coat of a much lighter grey contrasting color over the dark grey.

Your choice of paint can either be a Lacquer product or better still, for more hard wearing durability, a two pack paint product. Flatting base additive can be mixed in with the two grey colors to give a low sheen or semi flat finished look, or alternatively, you could spray a low sheen clear over the two grey colors to finish off with. This procedure can not be done successfully by using rattle cans. Spray gun only folks.

In America, there may be special paints or rattle can products that can simulate this kind of finish, that i may be not aware of. In any case, if you can't find an off the shelf paint product to do this, then my technique will deliver the goods.

See my trunk makeover to see what i'm talking about. I resprayed my trunk metal floor and the false timber floor as well with this refinish technique.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

Greg.:)

I find the custom work you did in the trunk very interesting. It looks expertly done!!!

Tim

Hi Jim,

The original trunk floor finish or color, was a darkish grey speckled finish if i'm not mistaken. That finish can be duplicated by spraying a solid dark grey color down first, and then using a low pressure gun technique, apply a random, but even light spatter coat of a much lighter grey contrasting color over the dark grey.

Your choice of paint can either be a Lacquer product or better still, for more hard wearing durability, a two pack paint product. Flatting base additive can be mixed in with the two grey colors to give a low sheen or semi flat finished look, or alternatively, you could spray a low sheen clear over the two grey colors to finish off with. This procedure can not be done successfully by using rattle cans. Spray gun only folks.

In America, there may be special paints or rattle can products that can simulate this kind of finish, that i may be not aware of. In any case, if you can't find an off the shelf paint product to do this, then my technique will deliver the goods.

See my trunk makeover to see what i'm talking about. I resprayed my trunk metal floor and the false timber floor as well with this refinish technique.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

Greg.:)

National Parts Depot sell an acceptable trunk splatter paint and a clear coat to go over it for the 71-73's. AP500 & AP501. Looks good in my '71 trunk.

Also, Eastwood Paints have 3 trunk splatter paints and a clear coat. Lots to chose from.

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back