Pulling the trigger on my 351C rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question for you all. Should I pre-emptively get a new radiator to go with the rebuild? Its not leaking sitting there parked, and even though I was only able to limp it down the street when it was "running", there were no leak issues there either. Granted it wasn't running very long, but I am assuming if there was a problem it would have been fairly apparent. I am leaning towards not swapping it, and it will get a good flush with the rebuild. Just curious as to what you all think that have gone through this process. Searching around on jegs and summit, $500+ is a kick in the nuts for a new aluminum one.

Your radiator shop can pressure test it. The factory radiator is a good choice for stock to moderate builds. Don't replace it unless you need to.
Your radiator shop can pressure test it. The factory radiator is a good choice for stock to moderate builds. Don't replace it unless you need to.
That was the answer I was hoping for. Don’t see any damaged fins or stains that it had been leaking at one point. Fantastic, thank you much!

That may save you a few bucks. That is a good thing. Especially needed these days. As I said before avoid Comp if you can. Comp is more enthusiastic about GM products than Ford products.

Ron
I don't know what makes you think you're such an authority on Comp Cams. Having used their products for over 30 years I can vouch for their products and support services for all of my FORD products. Whether it was my Ford NHRA Stocker, Ford Super Gas Mustang, Ford 460 equipped RV, or Ford Bracket Car, they all used Comp products successfully. Plus I have a bevy of fellow racers who feel the same. Your statement about Comp's being more enthusiastic about GM is a tired old complaint. Whether it be about magazine coverage, racing rules, or parts vendors, it's the same old whine. GM, more specifically, Chevrolet, have historically been the engine brand selected for use in racing & street machines by a wide majority. So yeah there is likely an emphasis on meeting that need. That's just good business sense.

I don't know what makes you think you're such an authority on Comp Cams. Having used their products for over 30 years I can vouch for their products and support services for all of my FORD products. Whether it was my Ford NHRA Stocker, Ford Super Gas Mustang, Ford 460 equipped RV, or Ford Bracket Car, they all used Comp products successfully. Plus I have a bevy of fellow racers who feel the same. Your statement about Comp's being more enthusiastic about GM is a tired old complaint. Whether it be about magazine coverage, racing rules, or parts vendors, it's the same old whine. GM, more specifically, Chevrolet, have historically been the engine brand selected for use in racing & street machines by a wide majority. So yeah there is likely an emphasis on meeting that need. That's just good business sense.
Ok. I said what I said only because as far as the Cleveland goes there are other options. I don't hate Comp really. I have one of their cams in my engine. Hey, my wife is a mad Irishwoman so lets get along.

Ron

Last edited:
Hey Ron, I feel the same as you on the Comp deal. To be quite honest, I have heard horror stories about Comp's roller tappets. I've installed their timing sets, and don't care for them. Cloyes has always been a better product than everyone else's timing sets. I've also experienced two different times, once on a 302, and another time with a 351w that we were building at the shop, where the new Comp cam wouldn't fit into the new cam bearings in the block. Both times, I had another stock Ford cam to test fit with as well, and the Ford cams slipped in perfectly. When I miked the Ford and Comp bearing journals for comparison, there was the issue. The Comp journals were bigger by the same amount all the way down, maybe a thou or two, it's been maybe a year ago. Was it a fluke? Twice? We corrected both times in the shop on our lathe. Now I suppose this could have happened with anyone else's cam, but this is what I did experience. Personally , I haven't run one of Comp's products in my own to say one way or the other . I'm sure they couldn't remain in business, as they have, if they are selling bad parts, but for sure, at least in these instances, quality control slipped through the cracks.

Last edited:
Been a while since I have been able to post any updates for those of you that were interested! She finally got into the shop after the very long wait for a spot to open. Motor and tranny have been pulled and on their way to the machine shop! The first thing that was done when she got in was tires. Did end up going 225/70/14 and I love the look compared to the old ones. Helps these arent 10 years old and dry rotted....Once it is back from the machine shop I will head back in so we can get a plan of attack. I will be having the original A/C rebuilt, since everything is there. I thought about just having it pulled off and keeping the components, but there's really no reason not to do it now. After mulling it over, I am also going to go FI. Working 2 jobs for the last year to fund this project makes me want to do it exactly how I want it. Love the idea of being able to walk outside and have her fire right up. Also included a mini photo dump! Maybe the shop was "pumping my tires" a little bit, but I was told I have an extremely solid platform. Factory PS, AC, and PB. Besides the 2 dime sized rust holes behind the rear tires "which I knew about", the only other rust on her was the old exhaust, which was getting cut out anyways. Being up on the lift they had me come take a look underneath. The last picture is back home yesterday with the new tires on. That crease is courtesy of Hagertys contracted tow shop. Already have a claim submitted, those MFers.

Attachments

• 71044545128__628335D7-0E8F-496B-AAE4-B782A5D1E6E0.jpg
    71044545128__628335D7-0E8F-496B-AAE4-B782A5D1E6E0.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 71044546189__B6E13A6B-6CEA-4404-A15C-67C90E9CE9FD.jpg
    71044546189__B6E13A6B-6CEA-4404-A15C-67C90E9CE9FD.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 71044548893__8E812D02-1EFD-4150-9376-3DDDF295D04E.jpg
    71044548893__8E812D02-1EFD-4150-9376-3DDDF295D04E.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 71044551140__7A663B9F-FCBB-45D7-A31C-CBA1B613A6C4.jpg
    71044551140__7A663B9F-FCBB-45D7-A31C-CBA1B613A6C4.jpg