Pwr Steering pump pressures

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Does anyone know what the high pressure side out from the pump ( PSI) to the Saginaw steering box is in a 73 Mustang? Reason I am asking is because I am going to a GM type 2 pump and I believe the pressure for those is 1200 to 1400 psi and I don't want to blow out the seals in the steering box. I believe that the Ford pump is between 800 to 900 psi and was hoping someone knows. I can reduce the output of the Type 2 pump by using a pressure reducing kit but I need to know what pressure to go to. Thx.

I found this after searching all evening:

Power Steering Pressure

GM power steering pumps will produce up to 1,500 PSI. We

recommend 1,200 PSI for steering box applications and 800–

900 PSI for Mustang rack & pinions. If a pump is generating too

much pressure for the rack or box you are using, the steering

will be over assisted resulting in twitchy steering at speed. This

can be corrected by adjusting the pumps internal pressure.

I have the steeing box so I'll shoot for 1200 PSI.

The 71 service manual, section 13-01-02, states the minimum pressure for all except T-Bird and Lincoln is 620 psi with fluid temperature at 170 degrees F. The lincoln and T-Bird minimum pressure is 900 psi. Chuck

Thx Chuck, when you mentioned service manual it reminded that I bought a set years ago.

I didn't realize that I had vol 2 of the 1973 service manual and it's there, For the 73 the minimum pressure is 1175 psi but they don't say what the maximum should be. I'am going to set the type 2 pump relief valve at 1200 psi and I should be good. Thanks for the inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back