Quarter Panel Trim Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
I'm wrapping up a full restoration on my 73 convertible & the interior shop is having a hard time trying to cover the quarter panel trim with vinyl. How should I direct him to complete this project? Also I noticed that the seats sit very low with factory seat tracks. Has any raised their seats by a few inches? Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank,

I had my '73 vert quarters covered in cream vinyl as well, and my trimmer did a great job. He said however, the job was not easy, and he had to sand down the old surface which was powder crumbling away, with a rough grade of sandpaper like a 80 and 180 grit, so the contact cement glue would take and form a good bond for the vinyl to stick to.

If your trimmer is wrestling with the job other than the crumbling surface issue, and can't get a win, he may not be up to scratch to do the work for you. My job cost me around $320.00 Australian.

Sorry, can't help with the seat tracks.

Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
The convertible should have a spacer about 1"tall between the track and seat bottom. They only go on the inside track near the driveshaft tunnel. That helps some.

Thanks for everyone response. I forgot to mention that the interior was white and I haven't seen any new white quarter panel trim for sale.

I bought the New quarter panels back in the spring, from MU.

I had to paint them Blue, they only come in Black ABS plastic, then I had to add the standoffs to the back side, and reinforce some of the critical areas with fiberglass from the back side.

they did come out looking great when I was done.

I'll try and take some pictures today if I get a chance.

I forgot to mention that the interior was white and I haven't seen any new white quarter panel trim for sale.

Thanks for everyone response.

I haven't seen any new white quarter panel trim for sale.

You wont Frank, because the new panels are made of a black plastic,and have to be painted to suit your colored interior, whatever that may be. In your case it's white.

In my case, i was looking into replacing my original panels with the new plastic repro ones, but was put off by feedback of the new ones not fitting properly or having fitup issues, and the seatbelt cut out holes and the stud holes, not provided for. I went for getting mine recovered, and did not regret it at all. I was delighted with the end result, and it looks a million dollers. Again i say to you, that if this job is beyond your trimmer, consider taking your business somewhere else to a company that can do the job sucessfully.

Have a look at my thread on interiors, and see pics of my finished quarter panels in vinyl.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-interior-pics-tips

Best of luck,

Greg.:)

In my case, i was looking into replacing my original panels with the new plastic repro ones, but was put off by feedback of the new ones not fitting properly or having fitup issues, and the seatbelt cut out holes and the stud holes, not provided for. I went for getting mine recovered, and did not regret it at all. I was delighted with the end result, and it looks a million dollers.

Bst of luck,

Greg, I spent sometime with a heat gun shaping, and some trimming it for a perfect fit, then I added the 3-4 plastic 1" spacers on the back side, and then I had to reinforce some of the areas with fiberglass (it was flimsy around the arm rest area.

but I have to say it was worth the $179 I paid and the 4 hrs of labor, and 2 cans of interior Lacquer.

The convertible should have a spacer about 1"tall between the track and seat bottom. They only go on the inside track near the driveshaft tunnel. That helps some.
Judge, when I have found these in a vert, they were on all 4 mounting points.

Don

In my case, i was looking into replacing my original panels with the new plastic repro ones, but was put off by feedback of the new ones not fitting properly or having fitup issues, and the seatbelt cut out holes and the stud holes, not provided for. I went for getting mine recovered, and did not regret it at all. I was delighted with the end result, and it looks a million dollers.

Bst of luck,

Greg, I spent sometime with a heat gun shaping, and some trimming it for a perfect fit, then I added the 3-4 plastic 1" spacers on the back side, and then I had to reinforce some of the areas with fiberglass (it was flimsy around the arm rest area.

but I have to say it was worth the $179 I paid and the 4 hrs of labor, and 2 cans of interior Lacquer.
Fair enough Iyman, but you did say you liked what i had done and thought it was a good idea in my interior thread i posted a while ago.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-interior-pics-tips

Cheers,

Greg, I have seen pictures of your panels, they look great, I asked my upholsterer and he said they can be done, but $350 each side, that's what stopped me.

you should repost the pictures to give Frank an Idea how yours were done.

Greg, I have seen pictures of your panels, they look great, I asked my upholsterer and he said they can be done, but $350 each side, that's what stopped me.

you should repost the pictures to give Frank an Idea how yours were done.
Thanks Iyman,

I have provided a link to my previous thread which has all the pics of the covered quarters.Also, you costing with your trimmer for $350 for one side sounds too expensive to me, as my finished job came to around $360 for both sides that were done beautifully.

Wow yours look great Greg.
Many thanks Frank.

I hope that gives you some inspiration and helps to make up your mind as well.

Cheers,

Just posted my photos in the Individual Project Build Threads. Car will be finish in about 2 weeks.

Hi there,

As someone who has seen Greg's interior in the flesh, all I can say is that it's a first class job and the guy he had do it, has done a top rate job. As Greg has said, this type of job is quite time consuming and fiddly and maybe beyond your current trimmers capabilities, or he knows what's involved and doesn't really want to do it. All I'm saying is maybe call some other trimmers and get their opinion about doing them. Anyway good luck with it all.

Latest posts

Back