Question about engine bay oil pressure gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 - 351C C6
Howdy 'stang gang.

I searched around for an answer to this but struggled to see an actual example: is it possible / advisable to run a secondary oil pressure gauge inside the engine bay itself? I feel like I've seen other cars that had this, but haven't seen it on a mach 1 yet. Have any of y'all done this, and if so did you split it off from the sender at the back or attach it by the fuel pump?

I'm running (what I assume is a stock) 351C using 20w-50, and I'm getting troublingly low readings on the after-market Bosch gauge someone installed inside the car. Very low numbers once the car is at temp. Not sure if the gauge is reading low, or the pressure is actually that low. It's got me nervous to take the car for an extended drive.

I do plan to replace the oil pump and check the bearings down there etc soon, but I don't have the ability to get the car up on jacks for another week or two. I also have a new gauge built into a Dakota digital cluster I plan to install over the winter. For now I'm just worried about running with such low pressure, so that's why I'm asking about a secondary gauge.

Also, any advice on replacing the oil pump, and the bearings while i have it off etc, would be appreaciated. Not sure exactly what I need to buy. Is a new pan recommended? I know people say replace the bolt nuts down there with ARP nuts and replace any chewed up bearings. Not sure the best place to look for info on that. Is one of the ford motor rebuild books the place to look?

Thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't go through the trouble to install a second one permanently. I did hook up a second gauge to make sure my main one was reading correctly. I removed the sending unit in the top, rear of the block, installed a tee, and installed the sending unit. Then in the other side of the tee, a tube for a mechanical gauge.

I ran the mechanical gauge over the cowl from under the hood, then in the window, and let the gauge flop around on the dash board. You can see the reading while you drive. Compare it to your electronic gauge. Once you see how the electronic one correlates to the mechanical one, there's not really much use for the second one anymore.

Back