Question about performance ad-ons on a car I am looking at

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I would like to get an opinion on this car description. Price is still too high, but I want to know if I should even consider it. Some of these engine/trans options are very specific and I don't know if they are good options or not. I am looking for a street car and these options seem high-performance oriented. Do these options indicate that the car has been raced? You guys have tons of experience with these cars and I don't.

This is copied and pasted from the ad:

[/color]

1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, Ram Air 351C car VIN# 3F05Q242595 with 88949 original miles, Brand New paint, under carriage is clean and NO Rust, Trunk clean with no rust. floors no rust. Motor and Exhaust sounds awesome.

engine- original 351C rebuilt with Boss heads 10.7 to 1 compression,

edelbrock F-351 intake,

alum water pump,

Kieth Black flat top pistons,

Total Seal rings,

Erson Alum. roller rockers, 1.73 ratio

Hardened push rods with guide plates

AFR port plates and crank scraper

double roller timing set

282/300 degree cam with 5.02 lift

Crane fast bleed lifters

headers with dual H pipe exhaust and new flowmaster series 40 mufflers, MSD 6 AL ignition, MSD 3 step w/adjustable chip

Transmission, original C6 with 3500 stall converter, Hi-po servo, hi-po clutch pack, B&M full manual shift kit, heavy duty trans cooler, B&M line lock, drive shaft loop

rear axle is a 9" with traction lock and 4:11 gears, Comp Engineering traction bars and sub frame connectors

Thank you.

well somebody built that up to do something with.

it depends on what you want to do with the car.

based on the specs it will not be a good normal daily driver.

at 55mph that engine is going to be screaming around 4000 rpms.

it has very high compression as well.

high stall convertor will not be fun in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.

the cam could also be very lumpy at idle making the car bounce around inside at stop lights.

but to really know you would have to go see it and at least test drive it.

I want a daily driver with a hump to it. I guess the 4.11 gear ratio can always be changed but it may be telling of what it was used for. The 3500 stall converter is also a red flag to me.

The car is located like hour and half away so I am not too convinced it is worth the trip. If I have time this weekend I may stop by just for the sake of it.

tony-muscle,

+ 1 with 72HCODE. Looks like the owner created a street machine thumper to hunt Chevy's and Dodge's. Impressive specs. One area they did not mention is cowl area for rust. Since the mustang is relatively rust free, then maybe the cowl area is in good shape also. Might want to by pass this one for a daily driven mustang.

mustang7173

Thing is with an engine built up like that and the trans with the high stall, going to a taller rear ratio will present problems. typically a built up cleveland is missing a ton of power on the low end under 1500 rpms. that is where you want to spend 90% of your time in a daily drive at 30 mph and less on average. Ford even limited tall ratios on more performance built V8s and you could not have AC. so if you go to swap out the low ratio for a high ratio, you will make the gearing a total mismatch for the engine and basically make drivability even worse.

I'll tell you flat out, if you want a daily driver classic car, A/C is a must.

For daily driver?? Maybe if not much highway cruising. Or make a T5 swap and have ~ 0,63 overdrive, that will bring the highway rpm down for good mpg regardless from the deep gears. 4,11 gears with 3500 stall will be a ton of daily fun at traffic lights!! If it’s got a good torque converter it’ll start moving towards with idle speed and be easy on throttle. Step on it and the rpm will raise to 3500rmp and boom with 4,11 gears you’ll be flying low.

As the 72HCode states it depends on what do you want from the car. IMO the Mach sounds like a nice street machine with some bad to the bone attitude – I would call it a café racer. If that’s your goal it might be a good option. Drop in and let the owner give you a ride or drive it yourself and you’ll feel is it something you want. If it feels too racy, then search for more “stock’ish” option.

--------

edit: If'll you will keep the 3500 stall and install f.ex. a 3.25 gears you will be melting your transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back