Quote about veterans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
While looking around for some tips on how to remove the harmonic balancer, I came across this quote in someone's sig line in a, of all places, Camaro website. Thought it was pretty cool.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor....."

Now, back to my so-called troubles. :)

Doc

Nice quote. I signed that check and gave uncle sam six years. It was during the cold war, but just the same, you should have seen the faces on the guys when Carter launched a failed rescue attempt for the Iran hostages. All of Europe went on red alert.

Veteran

275th Engineering Company (ADM) - deactivated in 1985 thank god.

Ludwigsburg, Germany

Very powerful way of looking at it.

I rode with a few of our finest on a flight from Columbia, SC to Atlanta yesterday. They were on their way to Korea, I made it a point to thank them.
Thanks Jeff something that simple goes a long way::thumb::
X2. Good job, Jeff.....

Doc

Yes, all you guys (and gals) who are veterans have my upmost respect for your service to our nation!

And, probably too deep a conversation to have here, but am I the only one who feels contradicted by support for the troops always, but questions the political justification for these deployments? I can't help but feel that our political leaders are failing our bravest men and women. God Bless the Troops.

Agreed about the politics. After my military service career, I entered the municipal (city, village, township) line of work to see if I could make a difference in civilian life. After 25 years of service to local residents, property owners and the like, I have found the biggest issues are two fold. Media and apathy.

The media seems to be focused on the big government, when it's the local city/county government that is going to put another cop in the budget or raise your property taxes. When was the last time you saw a local school board meeting on the news?

Sadly, the number of people that turn out to a city/county meeting are few and far between. I've worked in cities with populations over 500,000 and in ones that have 50,000 and the number of people that come to speak out, let alone even attend, are a mere handful.

In the midst of it all, are what we call public servants. These are the men and women that protect you from the squad car, read your water meter, fix your road, or make developers live up to local regulations. The majority of them really do try to do a good job on the public dollar.

However, the qualifications for being elected are still pretty slim. You must be at least 18, a resident of the local city/county for a period of time and .....get the most votes. That's it. No prior experience necessary in running a multimillion dollar public corporation or in local policy making.

So what's the answer? Find out who's running in the next school board election, or city council position and find out what they stand for. That's how real change happens...

Sorry for the rambling... I got dumped by a group of corupt politicians a while back and still feel the sting.

I always try to show appreciation towards our troops and vets...just the other day, I saw a young Marine in Sheetz pouring himself some coffee. I Overheard him telling another guy that he was on his way to the airport to head back to Iraq...so I gave the cashier an extra few bucks to cover his order. It's the least I could do. I also make the kids stand and clap for the veterans marching in parades even when so many other people don't...it just makes me sick!

Agree, Maiden, about it starts at the local level. I'll leave the rest of the political comments to other sites, but it was just something I wanted to get off my chest. We need some good change for a change! :exclamation:

Latest posts

Back