R.I.P. to all the muscle cars that have been abandoned

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
Watch "Abandoned in Japan: An American Muscle-car gravey…" on YouTube

Abandoned in Japan: An American Muscle-car gravey…:

Seen and read about heaps of cars like that Japan going to waste. Don't worry though there are plenty over here doing the exact same thing. All sitting in the exact same spot for at least 30 years and now getting to the point of not being repairable. So you go enquire about them and an old guy comes out, who's now about 80 and tells you the same story he's told everyone else over the years, that he's going to do it up one day. More chance of the car rotting back into the ground and being dug back up as iron ore, than them ever "going to do it up one day." I can't understand this mentality, especially after many years that the car is in the exact same spot and nothing has been done to it and never going to have anything happen to it because they're now too old to do anything with them. Why not let someone bring these cars back to their former glory, or now that the cars are beyond saving, to have the salvageable parts help keep other cars going or looking correct. Some things in life just can't be explained.

Seen and read about heaps of cars like that Japan going to waste. Don't worry though there are plenty over here doing the exact same thing. All sitting in the exact same spot for at least 30 years and now getting to the point of not being repairable. So you go enquire about them and an old guy comes out, who's now about 80 and tells you the same story he's told everyone else over the years, that he's going to do it up one day. More chance of the car rotting back into the ground and being dug back up as iron ore, than them ever "going to do it up one day." I can't understand this mentality, especially after many years that the car is in the exact same spot and nothing has been done to it and never going to have anything happen to it because they're now too old to do anything with them. Why not let someone bring these cars back to their former glory, or now that the cars are beyond saving, to have the salvageable parts help keep other cars going or looking correct. Some things in life just can't be explained.
I can't help but to think that the response you get might have to do with the approach one takes when trying to buy these old cars. Most of these people have an unrealistic idea of their cars value. They have no real idea what expense goes into restoring a car to original (not a cosmetic restoration).

Money talks. I've seen many vehicles bought from owners who told others it was not for sale. People get annoyed with getting beat down as potential buyers try to get it cheap. It really is just negotiations. And other times it can just be a matter of timing. Something might have happened to motivate the sale. You never know.

The really tough part is when there is any sentimental value being held by the seller. That can quickly price it out of anyone's market.

My suggestion is to always leave them with a offer if you really want it. I would tell them "as long as the car checks out" along with my offer and leave my number.

One more thing- Always be prepared. If you're going to look, be ready to walk away from the wrong deal or buy if it suits you.

Ray

Nothing wrong with the way that I approach people at all. I don't walk into their property and ask if the car's for sale straight away, as that's the best way to get up the owners nose. I have never told of my techniques, because if people knew how easy it really is, then they'd all be trying it. A lot of people I know can't believe how good I am at getting cars (some I've got for people that never thought they would ever have them) and I've gotten many that were "never" for sale, but some are just not for sale at any price and these are the people I talk about. I know of one such car (one of thousands) that I tried to buy many times before I bought my convertible. He's had the car for over 25 years (at least it's in a shed)and never done a thing to it and according to his mate, I've apparently been the only person that's had him contemplating selling it, every other time before (4years) was just a straight out no. There was another old bloke out this way, who had a heap of old cars and apparently some pretty rare stuff. Anyway same thing never sell anything, then one day a flood comes through and wipes out most of the collection, ends up everywhere, side of the road, over the road, you name it. Anyway the council tells him it's his responsibility to have it all removed or he'd be fined and charged for them to remove them all. A mate gets hold of what's about to happen, races over there and sees if he can buy anything. The old bloke tells him that it's all going to the scrappies now as he told them they could have it all. As for money, doesn't work on some either, there's a very rare Ford XA GT RPO 83 Hardtop about 50 miles away from me. It is fairly well known in the GT and hardtop community as the "chook shed" RPO 83. This guy has apparently knocked back $100 000+ in cash with a reported high of $150 000 cash during the boom. To be honest though, these guys that went out there are probably the ones who think, I've got money so he'll sell it to me because I've got a big bag of money, honestly I'm glad he never sold it to these tossers and told them all exactly where to go. This is a sentimental one, bought it new and he apparently got married and used it as his wedding car. I truly do understand sentimental attachment as there are things I have I will never sell, but the thing is with the sentimental side of things I don't understand, is why just let the car go to waste and at least try to do something with it to bring it back to the condition it once was. It has been suggested to me to go out and try my luck, but I have no interest in trying to get for somebody else, because I don't have the money to buy it (see crazy prices been offered) and restore it (probably looking around the same again) as much as I'd love to have this rare car. What would interest me though with this car would be to sit down with the owner and just hear his story about his car, because sometimes just hearing the story behind it is better than actually purchasing the car itself.

Nothing wrong with the way that I approach people at all. I don't walk into their property and ask if the car's for sale straight away, as that's the best way to get up the owners nose. I have never told of my techniques, because if people knew how easy it really is, then they'd all be trying it. A lot of people I know can't believe how good I am at getting cars (some I've got for people that never thought they would ever have them) and I've gotten many that were "never" for sale, but some are just not for sale at any price and these are the people I talk about. I know of one such car (one of thousands) that I tried to buy many times before I bought my convertible. He's had the car for over 25 years (at least it's in a shed)and never done a thing to it and according to his mate, I've apparently been the only person that's had him contemplating selling it, every other time before (4years) was just a straight out no. There was another old bloke out this way, who had a heap of old cars and apparently some pretty rare stuff. Anyway same thing never sell anything, then one day a flood comes through and wipes out most of the collection, ends up everywhere, side of the road, over the road, you name it. Anyway the council tells him it's his responsibility to have it all removed or he'd be fined and charged for them to remove them all. A mate gets hold of what's about to happen, races over there and sees if he can buy anything. The old bloke tells him that it's all going to the scrappies now as he told them they could have it all. As for money, doesn't work on some either, there's a very rare Ford XA GT RPO 83 Hardtop about 50 miles away from me. It is fairly well known in the GT and hardtop community as the "chook shed" RPO 83. This guy has apparently knocked back $100 000+ in cash with a reported high of $150 000 cash during the boom. To be honest though, these guys that went out there are probably the ones who think, I've got money so he'll sell it to me because I've got a big bag of money, honestly I'm glad he never sold it to these tossers and told them all exactly where to go. This is a sentimental one, bought it new and he apparently got married and used it as his wedding car. I truly do understand sentimental attachment as there are things I have I will never sell, but the thing is with the sentimental side of things I don't understand, is why just let the car go to waste and at least try to do something with it to bring it back to the condition it once was. It has been suggested to me to go out and try my luck, but I have no interest in trying to get for somebody else, because I don't have the money to buy it (see crazy prices been offered) and restore it (probably looking around the same again) as much as I'd love to have this rare car. What would interest me though with this car would be to sit down with the owner and just hear his story about his car, because sometimes just hearing the story behind it is better than actually purchasing the car itself.
Yep I Don't get it. I can take you to a Shed here with 3 Chargers in it E37 E55 E57 all only need minor things like a dizzy or balancer or a head reconditioned. I have offered fair money for the E57 in the past but he is going to do them up or get them running soon. They haven't moved in 8+ years and my guess is they never will. You always see this bloke telling everyone that will listen about his rare chargers. I think these types of people get more joy from stating that they have these special cars than using them or letting people see that they aren't exactly in the perfect condition described as they have slowly declined while in their possession. I don't know what their deal is but its a bit weird.

Yeah exactly right Luke, there are so many of these type of guys out here and when you see some of these cars now it just makes you shake your head about the waste of great cars. The ones that really tick me off are the ones that finally decide that they are going to sell and you get there and the car is totally stuffed and still want pre GFC prices. One we went to about a year or so ago was for a XB hardtop, been sitting for at least ten years, on the outside it looked not too bad for a coupe, but underneath and in the boot especially, my god what metal. Anyway asked what he was after and came back with a price of fifteen. I thought fifteen hundred, not bad to buy as a parts car, but no he wanted fifteen grand. I asked him if he knewwhat he exactly had and he said yes, so after trying to tell this guy how much work was in it and the costs, he said he didn't think it was that bad and no way would it cost that much to fix. Anyway thanked him for showing us the car and left before I started too laugh at him. We hear through traps that a few months ago someone went up there and must of worked out a deal (too much money or no idea, probably both) apparently they went to pull the car out so they could get it onto the trailer. So after a bit of pulling with the tractor, the poor old coupe started to fold up on them, so no deal was done. I've been thinking of going back out there to see if it's still there and offer $200 for it as there's still a few good bits on it. Exactly I don't know what their deal is either, maybe it's just that they like watching things deteriorate in front of them, so they can brag on about what they have or did have that was good once upon a time.

Back