Ram air hood hinges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible 429 cj
I am trying to install billet hood hinges on my 1971 convertible with ram air. They are not lining up at all, the hood sets to low and I do not want to modify the $700 dollar hinges?. Original hinges will not hold up the hood, previous owner looked like he even tried welding the center of the springs to stiffen them up. Do they make aftermarket springs to fit on own lighter hood hinges? What are my options? I apologies if this is a repeat thread, I just signed up

It sounds like the problem might have been the hinges.

When the original hinges are worn they will cause the same hood dropping issue as weak springs

It sounds like the problem might have been the hinges.

When the original hinges are worn they will cause the same hood dropping issue as weak springs
I agree. It's funny, I have two car's right now running the NASA hood (one with ram air) and both have standard springs. They both hold in the upright position no problem. When i read your post I was thinking the hinge itself may be the first thing to look at.

I am trying to install billet hood hinges on my 1971 convertible with ram air. They are not lining up at all, the hood sets to low and I do not want to modify the $700 dollar hinges?. Original hinges will not hold up the hood, previous owner looked like he even tried welding the center of the springs to stiffen them up. Do they make aftermarket springs to fit on own lighter hood hinges? What are my options? I apologies if this is a repeat thread, I just signed up

Are they by chance made by Eddie Motorsports? I bought a set and could not get my hood to sit low enough. Great people to deal with but very frustrating that they were supposed to be direct replacement parts.

Back