Rear Disc Brake Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Hi All,

I recently bought a severely neglected 72 Coupe. My first priority is safety. I redid the front brakes and am converting the rear brakes. Here's my problem. The donor brakes are from a 97 Mustang.

I have 3 questions.

1: The 97 Mustang has 2 brake hoses. Of them has two outlets. I want to order a second LH hose to match up. Any one see a problem with this?

2: Ebrake - I don't seem to have enough slack to put the sleeve into the hole. Is there a way I can find an extra couple of inches to get this in the hole?

3: Center brake hose. There is a hose that goes into a valve on the rear axle. This hose is 40 years old and I'd like to replace it. I can't find this hose mentioned anywhere. Does someone have a part # or source for this?

Ed...

Thanks for stopping by. I'll just hang around and visit some other threads in the mean time. :)

What is your motivation for putting dics brakes in the rear? A properly set up set of drums have more stopping power than dics...but discs sure do look good on all four corners. ;)

Good question - I'm familiar with the 70-30 rule and the idea that drums work fine. However, when I got this beast it wouldn't stop. So I decided to replace everything. Those drums are so ugly they're YOU-GLY! Shiny new Slotted/Drilled Rotors have way more sex appeal and they are far easier maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I recently bought a severely neglected 72 Coupe. My first priority is safety. I redid the front brakes and am converting the rear brakes. Here's my problem. The donor brakes are from a 97 Mustang.

I have 3 questions.

1: The 97 Mustang has 2 brake hoses. Of them has two outlets. I want to order a second LH hose to match up. Any one see a problem with this?

2: Ebrake - I don't seem to have enough slack to put the sleeve into the hole. Is there a way I can find an extra couple of inches to get this in the hole?

3: Center brake hose. There is a hose that goes into a valve on the rear axle. This hose is 40 years old and I'd like to replace it. I can't find this hose mentioned anywhere. Does someone have a part # or source for this?

Ed...
Ed..what conversion kit /brkts are you using ? & what calipers ? 97 gt..cobra ? Post a pic of the caliper ..but i have a feeling your gonna need this setup for your hoses

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-DOT-Stainless-Braided-Rear-Brake-Hose-Kit-pr-23989.html

And this for the e-barake

http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-parking-brake-cable-conversion-pr-24093.html

Email Shaun at street or track & tell him Scott sent you..I'm sure he can put together what you need

Heres his setup on miy car

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fridays-with-q-kinda-quiet

Hey there!! I'm not even close to have information that can be helpful but my experience with ole cars and some Isuues friends had over the years make me follow a simple rule... If you are going to change what the factory did in a car, make sure to do it propperly...

If you are changing the break system follow the leas of someone

sorry, sent the post by mistake... I wad saying... Follow the lead from someone that have done what you are planning with good results over the time... Scott sent you some links, follow that and try to be extra safe in everything you do in this kinda matter...

Good luck!

Hey Q,

Thanks for the links.

The conversion kit is Ultrastang's. The Donor is a 97 non-cobra

In the first picture I'm a bit confused on the 'T'. My current setup has the center hose coming into a T. That T has two lines (one to the left brake, one to the right right brake). The photo however shows the center brake line with 3 outlets.

1: A steel braided brake hose left.

2: A Brake line right.

3: Where does the Steel braided coming off the top of the T go?

Love your video!

Ed...

Hey Don,

I was using a 17 year old who knows everything to pump the brakes! LOL

What model mityvac are you using? I see $80-100 versions of this but no $20?????

Ed...

Hey Q,

Thanks for the links.

The conversion kit is Ultrastang's. The Donor is a 97 non-cobra

In the first picture I'm a bit confused on the 'T'. My current setup has the center hose coming into a T. That T has two lines (one to the left brake, one to the right right brake). The photo however shows the center brake line with 3 outlets.

1: A steel braided brake hose left.

2: A Brake line right.

3: Where does the Steel braided coming off the top of the T go?

Love your video!
Thanks ! It splices into your factory feed line...It may not work on non cobra cailpers..I'm not sure...Your going to have to ask before you buy same with the e-brake setup.

Hey Kids,

Just so you know I finally figured this out. The solution was so easy! I bought a 72 Mach 1 roller with the suspension and brakes package done. Now the coupe becomes a donor...

Hi All,

I have 3 questions.

Ed...
Ed..what conversion kit /brkts are you using ? & what calipers ? 97 gt..cobra ? Post a pic of the caliper ..but i have a feeling your gonna need this setup for your hoses

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-DOT-Stainless-Braided-Rear-Brake-Hose-Kit-pr-23989.html

And this for the e-barake

http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-parking-brake-cable-conversion-pr-24093.html

Email Shaun at street or track & tell him Scott sent you..I'm sure he can put together what you need

Heres his setup on miy car

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fridays-with-q-kinda-quiet

i concur, i did conversion with ALL brand new brake lines and i lot the stopping power. hell, it got so fun stopping on a DIME, that i have a certain road that i drive 60mph (55mph speed limit :D) and i like to slam on the brakes really hard at the last minute just to feel the stopping power. doing this, i'm also determining if i got my prop valve adjusted properly. (don't worry folks, this street is in the middle of nowhere and no children are around besides alot of dirt and tumble weeds).

the cobra brakes rock!!!!! they stop me at the track very quickly and safely.

Back