Rear spoiler accident last night

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NPD sells a pretty good repro spoiler with pedestals and hardware - obviously it'll need painted, but I would be shocked if anyone could salvage those pedastals. I don't know if anyone sells just the pedestal.

Tony,

If you find a decent trunk lid and know the color code of your paint, I can spray it and ship it back to you if you want.  You cover shipping costs and material, labor is on me.  I know it maybe risky shipping a painted part and could be expensive but if you dont want to pay an actual shop, I would be more than willing to help a guy out. I feel your pain, believe me!!   Like others have said, it may not be a perfect match but it would be darn close if you know the paint code of your color.  Only way to make sure you get it perfect would be to do a blend down onto the quarter panels and then you would need to re-clear all that area and the roof. Alot of work!  As far as the Mach 1 and stripes those are just stickers in argent and should be pretty easy to match. Worse case scenario just put new stickers on the fender extensions too and they will match perfect. Thats something you could do yourself. They are pretty easy to do and have a good bit of forgiveness if you install them with soapy water. Let me know if you think costs would work out for you to ship me a trunk lid to shoot. Whatever you decide, good luck!  Im sure it will be good as new in no time. 

Also just a thought, turn it in to your insurance. Even with a $500 deductible you might be better off especially if they pay for a panel blend!  
Thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you. I need to think about my options. There is a custom shop nearby that has a body shop. The nice thing is that I can give them the lid without giving them the whole car. Thank you for the insurance idea. I didn't even think about it. I don't even remember what kind of deductible I have. I will research that.

I think I have a lot of options and even more since this is not a show queen.

Tempting. How much will it be to ship from Canada? 
How long is a piece of string! That depends on who ships it. I personally would NOT use UPS. I have a FedEx account and have found them to be more reasonable. You need size and weight to get a quote. As for import taxes and fees into the US, I can't say. One thing though, make sure to ship GROUND ECCONNOY, or they will air freight it. I bought a large item last year from the US, stipulated ground shipping, but they air freighted it anyway. I got it in two days, but I had to call FedEx to get the bill adjusted.

If you're serious about this one, and the guy still has it, I may be able to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the idea. The plan is to get an idea of how much will it cost to fix/source it myself including a quote from a local custom shop and call the insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not know if you care or not there is a minor difference in the 71 Mach 1 trunk and the 72 & 73. The cover that goes over the lock cylinder clip is different. When you redo are you moving it forward? I took my original off and did the post on the hole locations last year. It was mounted really crooked from factory. I never noticed until measuring it.

20200514_172843.jpg

20200514_172916.jpg

Do not know if you care or not there is a minor difference in the 71 Mach 1 trunk and the 72 & 73. The cover that goes over the lock cylinder clip is different. When you redo are you moving it forward? I took my original off and did the post on the hole locations last year. It was mounted really crooked from factory. I never noticed until measuring it.
I didn't know about the lock cylinder cover. I will try to move the spoiler forward if I can. Mine is also crooked from whoever mounted it. I will call Hagerty. Depending on which direction I go I will take my time, gather parts, and may not touch it until the winter break.

Circling back to this thread, I finally got the trunk lid repaired. I made an insurance claimed and they covered the repair. I found a shop in town that specializes in classic cars (Cruzin Classics). The owner does most of the work and he is very detailed oriented. He did a great job. Not only he patched the trunk, but he relocated the spoiler to its correct location, repainted the spoiler and fixed the under lid area that had some holes made by whoever installed the spoiler before.

20220811_222105.jpgimagejpeg_0(4).jpg

Last edited:
Back