Rear Sway Bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a picture I took with an adjustable pole in place of the sway bar where I “think” it will run and I’m pointing to where I “think” it mounts to on the body. If I’m correct then my exhaust is in the way as you can see the pole running into it. My exhaust would need a sharper bend over the axle for the sway bar to have adequate clearance.
Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_5745.jpeg
    IMG_5745.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm looking at adding a rear sway bar to my car
Went down this path a few years ago myself. The stock bar from addco was a different thickness than the aftermarket bar.

Here are some relevant posts around the different bar types and pairings with the front:

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/sway-bar-brands.38104/#post-388362

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/sway-bar-brands.38104/#post-387770

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/1-vs-1-1-8-sway-bar.39666/#post-398129

You probably already figured all this out but just in case…

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any exhaust interference issues with the Addco rear sway bar? My cars aftermarket exhaust was done without a sway bar in place, and I'm concerned that I may not have the correct clearance for the bar where the exhaust goes over the axle.
Personally I cant answer that question. I had my tail pipes custom made as they needed to be replaced anyways.
Do these pics help?

Attachments

• IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    891.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    938.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    919 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1778.1.JPG
    IMG_1778.1.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    732 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any exhaust interference issues with the Addco rear sway bar? My cars aftermarket exhaust was done without a sway bar in place, and I'm concerned that I may not have the correct clearance for the bar where the exhaust goes over the axle.
In my case with that bar there was going to be contact with the exhaust. The exhaust on the car was fabricated and installed before I got it and when it did not have a rear bar. Since I intended to increase the pipes to 2 1/2" I decided to just remove the over axle pipes. The bar certainly can be easily accounted for if you are having an exhaust made for you.

Here’s a picture I took with an adjustable pole in place of the sway bar where I “think” it will run and I’m pointing to where I “think” it mounts to on the body. If I’m correct then my exhaust is in the way as you can see the pole running into it. My exhaust would need a sharper bend over the axle for the sway bar to have adequate clearance.
Can anyone confirm?
I just looked at my clearances and took three pictures for you. I think you are right that with your current exhaust pipe configuration you'll run into an interference. My first picture is the drivers side and Ii have about 5" clearance between the exhaust pipe and the flange on the gas tank. But mine is the "staggered" shock setup where the drivers side shock mounts behind the axle. Your picture looks like you have the standard suspension where both shocks are mounted in front of the axle.

The second picture shows the passenger side with about 4" clearance between my exhaust & the gas tank flange. Yours seems a lot less from your pictures. The 3rd picture is just a broader view so you can see the shock in the background.

The 4th picture I'm attaching shows the 3/4" Non-factory Sway bar that ADDCO makes (their 996 bar), compared to my stock 1/2" sway bar. You can see it's a different shape than what a factory bar is. But the 996 might work in your situation since you're not upgrading a factory bar. I can't really say, but I'd for sure talk with ADDCO to confirm before making an on-line order. Their Website doesn't show a picture of their 996 bar (just says "Product Photo Coming Soon") so that's why I thought you might want to see what it looks like.

In my case I did not end up using this 3/4" bar after learning that it's definitely not for cars that had the factory installed sway bars.

Finally, the 5th, and last picture is from someone else on our 7173Forum that I copied about 4-5 years ago when I was going through what you are. I used this as a reference for how the factory bar is installed, and all the mounting/configuration points. This is not my car, but it's a great picture/view of the bar setup. Again though, this is for the optional competition suspension system that has the staggered shocks.

I hope this helps some on your project planning...
Bob

Attachments

• Clearance Drivers Side.jpg
    Clearance Drivers Side.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Clearance Passenger Side-1.jpg
    Clearance Passenger Side-1.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Clearance Passenger Side-2.jpg
    Clearance Passenger Side-2.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear Sway Bar comparison.jpg