Receiver Hitch on 1973 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajk123

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande
Hello all:
Has anybody put a receiver hitch on their Mustang, where did you find it, how does it work? I just need one to hold my carrier for my mobility scooter, Thanks in advance for any responses :cool:

When I bought my 70 Mach1, it had a hitch installed. The car had been parked since 1981, so I know the hitch is a vintage one. I kept it. Someday I may have it power coated and reinstall it.Hitch.jpg
I have a 1973 Twoing Brochure, but the image is poor quality and I cat' read it. Below is the 1972, towing capacity specs.
1687281359987.png

Attachments

• 1973-Ford-Recreation-Vehicles-12-13.jpg
    1973-Ford-Recreation-Vehicles-12-13.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 0
if I recall it correctly, spike morelli (member) used to or still pulls drag boats behind his mustang.
It might be worthwhile reaching out to him on your question (or searching his thread)

When I bought my 70 Mach1, it had a hitch installed. The car had been parked since 1981, so I know the hitch is a vintage one. I kept it. Someday I may have it power coated and reinstall it.View attachment 78152
I have a 1973 Twoing Brochure, but the image is poor quality and I cat' read it. Below is the 1972, towing capacity specs.
View attachment 78156
I think the big takeaways from that for OP are the 200lb tongue weight, and note (c) bumper mounting not permitted. The rest of it seems to be more related to the 25sqft front cross section and the additional drag created by it.

When I read the question, this is the sort of setup I'm imagining he's wanting to do. Where the entire weight of the scooter and the stand is on the hitch. You would want to make sure your scooter and the hauler for it dont put you over that 200lb tongue weight. And be mindful of that weight if you are sitting on the scooter while driving it up, your body weight adds to that.
1687285570495.png

I am thinking of making my own at some point to trailer tools and tires to races. I don't like the attaching points of the stock one though. There are two good holes at the rear rails that could be used to attach a hitch. Then you have to build it under the exhaust and tank. My thought is to build something that looks like these:
1687296110072.png

1687296055522.png

if I recall it correctly, spike morelli (member) used to or still pulls drag boats behind his mustang.
It might be worthwhile reaching out to him on your question (or searching his thread)
Yes, I still do tow with my Mach. The hitch was done by a company in Reseda, California, named Eckhart Trailer Hitches. It is custom made, bolted and welded to the underbody and frame rails, the arms and legs of which surround the fuel tank at two points each side , and front and rear. Obviously, YOU won't need anything as heavy duty as what I have. The car has the horsepower and torque to tow, but the trailers have either surge brakes, or one that is electric brakes to augment the car's power disc/drum brakes, again, you won't need braking augmentation to hold your set-up. Google Maps shot this of me pulling a hill outside of Bakersfield. Note, I'm not crawling in the slow lane, but passing cars as I go. I love this shot.

Attachments

• 11-of-the-most-badass-rides-found-on-google-street-view (2).jpg
    11-of-the-most-badass-rides-found-on-google-street-view (2).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1
I put a hitch similar to the above on my first 71 Mach1. With a 1,500 pound boat+trailer, I could feel the body flex on acceleration and braking. A car with a full frame, or a factory installed trailer package would be a better choice. My 2016 Edge with the trailer package tows a 2,500 pound boat+trailer just fine.

There's a video on Youtube with that style setup on a VW Bug. Pretty neat and the maneuverability is outstanding.

... and one that goes over the setup

Don't see many '72 Caprices rolling around any more. My mom bought a new '74 2dr Impala Sport Coupe, brown on brown on brown in true 70's style.

Back