Remove broken ignition cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 convertible
I have a 1972 convertible w/a 351 C (now 4bbl) and an FMX transmission (console shift). While attempting to adjust the shift linkage I needed to disengage the lock out lever. When I tried to insert the key, it wouldn't even go in half way. I bore scoped it and can see the tumbler has collapsed/come apart and is jammed in the cylinder. How to I remove the cylinder from the column when I can't insert the key?

Thanks,
Hatch

I have drilled out a handful of them. You can go in from 2 different directions.

First direction is the obvious one. Drill in from the same place you insert the key. Remove enough of the material and the pins and springs fall out. Then you can turn the cylinder and push up in the pin from the bottom to remove it.

Second direction is a bit tighter. You can just drill that pin out from the bottom. Remove the pin, and the lock pulls right out. You have to be much more careful that you dont chew up the sides around where you're drilling.

Option 1 gives you more buffer before you screw something up you care about. It takes longer and turns more metal into a million shavings. Option 2 is faster with less mess, but significantly less room for error.

as @giantpune said. Tho keep in mind that the casing is made of zamak/potmetal/zinc alloy. Meaning you can shave a tad too much very very easy and you can't really solder there to fix in case you'd go too far. No matter the option you pick, I would recommend to remove the casing holding the cyl from the column and work on a bench. If you have a fixed drill, with the body well secured, with a much smaller diameter quality bit, you should grind that pin at low rpm in no time. If you use hands tool, I would go the other way. Less chance to end up with a pin channel damaged.

Thanks Giantpoon and Fabrice. It is the news I feared. Hahahaha. Giantpune. Apologies

Last edited:
Thanks Giantpoon and Fabrice. It is the news I feared.
Before I busted out the drill, I would probably spend a few minutes poking around in the keyhole. I have a set of lock picks. You could probably find any number of thin, flat, metal things to stick in the hole and maybe adjust the pin so your key can go in.

Just one last hail marry before I drilled it.

Before I busted out the drill, I would probably spend a few minutes poking around in the keyhole. I have a set of lock picks. You could probably find any number of thin, flat, metal things to stick in the hole and maybe adjust the pin so your key can go in.

Just one last hail marry before I drilled it.
That's where I started. We shall see. Any advice on removing the clamshell? I can break anything. It's my x-man power.

Grab the end of the lock cylinder with a set of pliers and twist, that'll snap off the the chrome end with the finger flanges. You can then carefully drill through the center, chipping away the pieces, until the lock cylinder will rotate. Be careful to only drill so far. Use the new cylinder as a reference.

If you pick up all the tumbler pins, you can re-key your new cylinder so it will still match the doors.

Back