Removing a.c. compressor clutch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
Is the removal of the compressor clutch a straightforward job or is there something i am missing? I want to take it off just to shine it up,so if it is a big deal I can do without it. Any tips are appreciated. I was thinking of media blasting it.

Is the removal of the compressor clutch a straightforward job or is there something i am missing? I want to take it off just to shine it up,so if it is a big deal I can do without it. Any tips are appreciated. I was thinking of media blasting it.
With belt off, engine off engage the clutch, take out the center bolt, put a 5/8 coarse bolt in the shaft hole and tighten it down. The clutch should come off as the bolt is tightened, disengage the clutch, remove the 4 small screws and part the single electrical connector to remove the electromagnet coil winding. Chuck

DSC_6347.JPG

With belt off, engine off engage the clutch, take out the center bolt, put a 5/8 coarse bolt in the shaft hole and tighten it down. The clutch should come off as the bolt is tightened, disengage the clutch, remove the 4 small screws and part the single electrical connector to remove the electromagnet coil winding. Chuck
Thanks Chuck, One more question.If I just removed the four small screws and the wire would the clutch and coil winding come off as one piece/

Thanks Chuck, One more question.If I just removed the four small screws and the wire would the clutch and coil winding come off as one piece/
No. Nothing is that easy.:p Chuck

Back