Removing Deluxe Interior Door Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Anything in particular to watch out for? All this 50 year old stuff can be pretty brittle, so if there is anything in particular that I need to be aware of, please let me know. Don't want a small job to turn into a bigger one. Thanks!

There is a small screw behind the door handle that helps hold the panel to the door, easy to overlook when removing the panel and reinstalling. There is also a special washer on the remote mirror cable joy stick on the back side of the panel, can easily fall out when the panel is removed. The bent tab on the washer faces the door panel when reinstalling. If you have power windows, the plastic switch base wiring socket snaps into the door panel. It is plastic, so be careful not to snap off any of the clip tabs.

If you haven't already, invest in a trim tool kit off Amazon. I've had basic door panel tools for decades, but bought one a couple years ago with a gift card. The kit is worth it's weight in gold.

The backing board on the OE panels is fiberboard, so if you accidentally tear out a clip, you can repair it with wood glue.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trim+too...trim+tool+kit,automotive,117&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
I'm glad I found this tip! When I got my 73 the driver side window was laying in the door. Tore probably 1/2 of the clips out trying to fix it. Door panels are in decent shape minus this aspect. Glad theres a fix for it!

Back