Removing oil pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
73MACH1VA, to me, the big deal with re-sealing the oil pan on one of our cars, is that since you are right there, you may as well remove the pan and clean it out. That leads to removing the oil pump as well, ( a little tedious), and the job has taken on a whole new dimension. Sometimes, the time is now to pull a rod or main cap to acsrtain bearing condition. I've done it a few times, on my Mach, and although it was a pain, and laid the car up for a few days, I feel it was worth the extra effort. Like I said to her...."as long as you're down there......."

The “while I’m here” is how I ended up where I’m already at. Which led to the oil pan. Lol All started with a leaky power steering pump.

Attachments

• 3C5FAF5B-E659-43C8-86B8-2F5DC3623789.jpeg
    3C5FAF5B-E659-43C8-86B8-2F5DC3623789.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The typical process is:

Remove two fan shroud bolts, unclip from bottom of radiator, lay back on the engine
Remove motor mount through bolts
Lift engine, place 2x4 block between mount and frame bracket
Raise and support the car
Remove sway bar
Drain oil
Remove oil pan bolts, drop pan down
Remove oil pump bolts, drop pump and shaft into pan
Slide pan forward and out

Raising the engine is needed on 302/351W and 429 installations. It *may not* be needed on a 351C due to the shape of the pan.

Got the oil pan off. Thanks for the help. Had to lift the motor on the Cleveland. Didn’t have wood handy so used a couple of sockets. Worked perfect!

Attachments

• B03D22AA-75A1-4214-91F5-7D2D91C23B56.jpeg
    B03D22AA-75A1-4214-91F5-7D2D91C23B56.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
73MACH1VA, to me, the big deal with re-sealing the oil pan on one of our cars, is that since you are right there, you may as well remove the pan and clean it out. That leads to removing the oil pump as well, ( a little tedious), and the job has taken on a whole new dimension. Sometimes, the time is now to pull a rod or main cap to acsrtain bearing condition. I've done it a few times, on my Mach, and although it was a pain, and laid the car up for a few days, I feel it was worth the extra effort. Like I said to her...."as long as you're down there......."
Oh.......... the innuendos!! Love 'em.

Not sure how many of us have used sockets as spacers or to seat grease seals. I do know that few admit to doing it.
Haha, I've used my 3/4 drive socket set as seal drivers as much as for big bolts! All the shops I ever worked at would use sockets as pressing fixtures. When I turned wrenches for a living, when I did a wheel bearing change, I'd keep a race from each side and grind the OD slightly to use as a press fixture for the next time I had to do that size.

Tip for using sockets....if you don't have a press, use a deadblow hammer so you don't damage the socket.....and go with impact sockets as your first choice.

What's wrong with the ford engineers, changing of brake pads is hilarious and now the stuff with the oil pan. Frustrates me personally. How did you lift the engine? With an engine crane, or is there another option?

Last edited:
What's wrong with the ford engineers, changing of brake pads is hilarious and now the stuff with the oil pan. Frustrates me personally. How did you lift the engine? With an engine crane, or is there another option?

You can use an engine hoist or jack up under the oil pan with a piece of lumber as a load spreader. Done it both ways without issue.

On the earlier Mustangs, oil pan removal is made easier because the lower crossmember that goes under the oil pan un-bolts, whereas, on the '71-'73s, the crossmember is a welded in part of the front structure, significantly strengthing the front end. This is a good thing.

The “while I’m here” is how I ended up where I’m already at. Which led to the oil pan. Lol All started with a leaky power steering pump.
That's funny, it all started with a leaky pump. Mine started with me buying the car. 🤣

Edit: Shame of it is, we didn't drive the car all summer because of the steering gear issue of last year and now the irony is, the gear was installed on Saturday but now, as I alluded to in a couple other threads, the entire front suspension and steering is being replaced and I too am looking at tackling the pan and there is no stopping the snowball once that's started rolling.

Last edited:
That's funny, it all started with a leaky pump. Mine started with me buying the car. 🤣

Edit: Shame of it is, we didn't drive the car all summer because of the steering gear issue of last year and now the irony is, the gear was installed on Saturday but now, as I alluded to in a couple other threads, the entire front suspension and steering is being replaced and I too am looking at tackling the pan and there is no stopping the snowball once that's opened up.
Classic car ownership:p;)

Back