Repainting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
My Mach 1 was painted back in 88 with acrylic laquer, and stripped to bare metal first. I want to repaint with the new modern ureathane. The current paint is in good shape with good adheadsion, could paint over it? thank you!

My Mach 1 was painted back in 88 with acrylic laquer, and stripped to bare metal first. I want to repaint with the new modern ureathane. The current paint is in good shape with good adheadsion, could paint over it? thank you!
You could by sealing with epoxy if you want to gamble on a 25 year old substrate that's probably close to the end of it's service life..Your call, only gonna be as good as whats underneath..

Hi Manyo,

That's good advice from Q.

From my own perspective, the Golden Rule is you Never, Ever paint 2Pak paints over any type of Acrylic Lacquer,old or new, if you want any type of quality, lasting job.

To draw an analogy,it's like putting concrete over a sponge. Lacquer is very solvent sensitive, and remains that way throughout it's entire life,and always remains softish and moves and flexes with temperature variations, especially with exteme heat.Because of this, the 2 pak finish will eventually start playing up and paint problems will start occuring.

It's just not a hard and stable enough substrate to put 2 pak over it.If you want a decent quality, long lasting trouble free end result, you'll have to unfortunately strip all the Lacquer off, and go back to bare metal.Do that, and you won't be sorry in the long run.

Greg.:) (Pro Spraypainter)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your advise guys. Will do. Next question, after paint is removed, do you recommend any kind of metal conditioner and or process prior to primer??

Thank you for your advise guys. Will do. Next question, after paint is removed, do you recommend any kind of metal conditioner and or process prior to primer??
Strip the old paint, epoxy primer, then you can proceed with filler primer, etc. if you sand it off...If you use a chemical stripper, you will need to condition and clean the metal before applying the epoxy. It depends on the stripper you use as to what conditioning will need to be done. Let us know which route you intend to go and we will get you through it step by step.

Strip the old paint, epoxy primer, then you can proceed with filler primer, etc. if you sand it off...If you use a chemical stripper, you will need to condition and clean the metal before applying the epoxy. It depends on the stripper you use as to what conditioning will need to be done. Let us know which route you intend to go and we will get you through it step by step.
I am thinking media blast what ever panels i can , and then stripper the balance ( roof, quarter panels). Could you suggest a good stripper( paint stripper! ) . thanks !!

I am thinking media blast what ever panels i can , and then stripper the balance ( roof, quarter panels). Could you suggest a good stripper( paint stripper! ) . thanks !!
I like aircraft stripper, it's the best I have found. But you will need to lay some plastic down, wear rubber gloves and old clothes because this stuff is strong and will burn your skin.

Back