Replacements for '71 sport lamps...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gewalker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang convertible
Stock 302, Edelbrock 600CFM carb
So, the previous owner of my '71 convertible did some things that were great, others, not so much when he was working on the car. He put a Mach 1 grille which I really like in it, and put in the repro sport lamp housings, but never sourced any sockets or bulbs for said sport lamps. I'm not concerned about the wiring for them since they are, essentially, in parallel with the headlamps according to the diagram (and that jives with what people have said about when they should be on or off).

My problem is that I have no idea what of the half-a-dozen or so marker light socket parts out there fits the sport lamp housing. Can someone point me to a part at CJPP or somewhere similar?

So, the previous owner of my '71 convertible did some things that were great, others, not so much when he was working on the car. He put a Mach 1 grille which I really like in it, and put in the repro sport lamp housings, but never sourced any sockets or bulbs for said sport lamps. I'm not concerned about the wiring for them since they are, essentially, in parallel with the headlamps according to the diagram (and that jives with what people have said about when they should be on or off).

My problem is that I have no idea what of the half-a-dozen or so marker light socket parts out there fits the sport lamp housing. Can someone point me to a part at CJPP or somewhere similar?
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mach1-sport-lamps-sockets-available-from-napa

I just got a 71 harness headlight harness in, and it has some sportlamp plugs that look nothing like what the NAPA stuff looks like nor anything else that I've seen in 71-73 headlight harnesses. I'll be refurbishing it tomorrow and will know more about what the ??? it is. It looks more like a tail-light bulb socket from 67/68 than anything else.

BTW, the same sockets for the sportlamps are found in mid-70's Ford trucks in the rear. I salvage all I can find in the local U-Pick. The NAPA parts are not very robust and are not built to the same quality standards as Ford. If you disassemble it for any reason, it cannot be put back together.

I can refurbish the sockets and sell them at modest costs: $20/pair plus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an update on the unusual 71 sportslamp, from kcmash's car built around the November 1970 timeframe.

unusualslplug.jpg

These look more like tail-light sockets to me. The harness was not spliced and these are factory originals.

Thanks for the kudos, KCmash and TheRktmn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a 71 harness headlight harness in, and it has some sportlamp plugs that look nothing like what the NAPA stuff looks like nor anything else that I've seen in 71-73 headlight harnesses. I'll be refurbishing it tomorrow and will know more about what the ??? it is. It looks more like a tail-light bulb socket from 67/68 than anything else.

BTW, the same sockets for the sportlamps are found in mid-70's Ford trucks in the rear. I salvage all I can find in the local U-Pick. The NAPA parts are not very robust and are not built to the same quality standards as Ford. If you disassemble it for any reason, it cannot be put back together.

I can refurbish the sockets and sell them at modest costs: $20/pair plus shipping.
Randy

Early 71's had metal sockets

Randy

Did they ever make a clear lens to possibly turn these into fog lights?

Randy

And that's why I post on these forums: I'm not a 71-73 expert (except wiring:D) and am always trying to learn.

Now the next question: when did they phase these out to the other design and is it related to the Pinto seat backs?:p

@midlife

Can you post a picture showing details of the sport lamp sockets you're refurbishing?

Refurbishment is upon request; I don't have any already refurbished. I have 2 and three wire variants available.

usualslplug.jpg

Back