Reproduction 71 Headlight Harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
NPD advertises a Mach1, tach-compatible headlight harness for the 71 Mustang.  A customer sent me his existing 71 Mach 1 tach headlight harness and the reproduction, stating that the reproduction is missing a wire.  I thought that missing wire may be the AC lead, which is part of the headlight harness for 1971 only.  Instead, it appears that this harness is a Mach 1, non-tach or standard dash harness.  It is missing the second power lead near the starter solenoid and both ammeter leads at the fuse box junction.

Wow...this is a big screw-up on the part of Metal Alloy, if true.  I'll be spending Saturday examining this repro a bit closer to confirm my first impressions.

Has anyone bought the repro headlight harness and had no issues?  I wonder if Metal Alloy is now producting a standard headlight harness and the parts got mixed up at NPD.  NPD still is only advertising the tach-compatible version so far.

Fair to good: it is your typical reproduction. The headlight connectors are clearly not the right type, but they are functional. It doesn't come with the strap with pins to hold it in place.

Fair to good: it is your typical reproduction.  The headlight connectors are clearly not the right type, but they are functional.  It doesn't come with the strap with pins to hold it in place.
Uh, what? So they expect you to butcher your original harness to source the pins, and then try to get them in the correct spot?  LOL.....

Time for them to pony up for a mold to make these things. Not like they couldn't sell them separately as well to guys like Midlife.

Fair to good: it is your typical reproduction.  The headlight connectors are clearly not the right type, but they are functional.  It doesn't come with the strap with pins to hold it in place.
Uh, what? So they expect you to butcher your original harness to source the pins, and then try to get them in the correct spot?  LOL.....

Time for them to pony up for a mold to make these things. Not like they couldn't sell them separately as well to guys like Midlife.
Easy enough to use the 65/66 style push-pin loops as a substitute.

Got home and inspected the reproduction again: it does have the retaining strap and pins. Sorry 'bout that.

I contacted a representative from NPD, who now believes, based upon my description, that this headlight harness is mis-described in their catalog, and will endeavor to change it as soon as they can.

So...for all of your information, the only headlight harness reproduction is for a 1971 Mach 1, standard dash with no 3 gauge cluster. It will work for other 71's (tach and non-tach), but the ammeter in the 3 gauge center console cluster will have no signal inputs.

Latest posts

Back