reupholstering Deluxe interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bumping this thread.. I contacted Original Interior in Mi and they no longer had black comfortweave.

I'll have to give SMS a call after the Holiday.

Thinking of buying enough material for both front seats.. anyone know the yards needed per seat?
I thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone knows how many yards of comfort weave material would be needed for the front seats on a convertible if each yard is 54 inches wide. How many yards for the black vinyl trim too?

When I received my samples from SMS several months ago I was quoted $135 a yard for the comfort weave. Sounds like the price goes up every time someone gets a quote!

Every yard they sell there is less available.
Very true Mark.

I have been shopping around for an upholster to do it for me, I have dealt with one of them in the past with the vert top, he wanted the most yardage!!. almost 7-8 yrds @ 54" wide (to do all od the seats

others have said 4-6. there numbers are all over the place.

Just as a price update.

I received trim samples from SMS today for Mach1 style trim

The Black Comfortweave is now quoted at $175.00 per yard

The Black Vinyl at $59.00 per yard

The Silver/Grey Vinyl with the 'pebble grain' $75.00 per yard

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have dealt with SMS ( for the ugly Avocado Green in my 73 Vert), and they were able to tell me the exact amounts needed. yes it is pricey, esp. for what i need for one seat. But a local upholstery guy mentioned something important, that my passenger seat may go soon, being over 40 years old.

The price to do my one drivers seat in avocado green and comfort weave would be near $600, I may just change the color altogether and replace and the seat covers for less than the price of one. You may also want to call around to some shops in your area that may have some of what you need on hand, that's what i'm doing.

I do not know if you guys are aware that SMS purchased the equipment to make the comfort weave years ago. So what they are selling if probably repo material that they made. Yes it is expensive but also expensive to set up and make small batches.

I have 3 of the super rare Towne Top removable hard tops for 1964 1/2 - 1968 mustang. They never made but a few to start with they cost too much at $289. I have a copy of the production sheet from the factory and just a couple pages. I sent samples to SMS and they had both the exterior vinyl covering and the headliner material in stock. They have not made these since 1966.

We had a local trim shop here that had many of the original materials and it burnt down. I had my 1950 Ford redone with all original Factory material in 1966 for $148. That was everything in the car, headliner, seats, door panels, rear panels cardboard's for package tray and kick panels along with carpet. I dropped off at 8:00 in the morning and drove it home 3:00 that afternoon. Looked and smelled like a new car. My pay then was $1.00 an hour before taxes. So that was nearly 5 weeks pay back then. So the price that SMS is giving is pretty cheap I think in today's money. Would you give 4 or 5 weeks pay for an interior, NOT. I paid the local Ford dealer to paint the car $100 for exterior and the dash and metal frames around the windows inside. Did all this before I got out of high school. I was only car nut at school.

I bought an original Ginger comfort weave seat covers off ebay in great shape for $135.00 front and rear. I also think the new repo seat covers are the woven material not the stamped like the old repo was.

When I bought my Mach 1 I actually checked the price for buying from Ford a new set of seat covers to put up. I think they were like $400 each from Ford when new. Crazy expensive so I did not do it.

I have my own upholstery sewing machine and went to the Tech College and took a course in upholstery. It is the most difficult part of restoring a car to me. A person like the instructor could blow through an entire interior for a P.U. in one 4 hour class. Take it out, cut new, sew it up and install and back in the vehicle. Like everything practice makes perfect. An upholstery machine can sew 11 inches a second and go through a half inch of material, so a finger is nothing, ouch.

Slight highjacking of this thread.

Can anyone confirm that the picture below is what an original 5W interior seat should look like for a 71 Mustang? I'd like to order the correct insert material and just want to make sure.

xmv155.jpg

I also went with the SMS material back in 2013. I compared several different swatches for the comfortweave and the other vinyl on the seats. By far SMS had the closest to original. I agree with Don that the repro comfortweave is vinyl with a pattern stamped into it. Furthermore, the gray banding on the edge of the comfortweave in the repro covers is a much lighter gray and far less texture in the pattern.

I ended up buying the comfortweave and the gray banding from SMS and sent that material to TMI to sew into their pattern and utilize their black vinyl. My intent in using their black is to match the door panels I have yet to acquire.

Here is a post from my build thread with the seats covers as I received them back from TMI.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-medium-lime-metallic-resurrection?page=16

P1010472.JPG

P1010455.JPG

P1010463.JPG

My contact at TMI stated I should order the following amount of material to be sewn into their 72 Mach 1 pattern.

From TMI:

Yes, your extra material will be sent back with your seat upholstery.

I double checked with my R&D Guy, your are safe with the 2 ½ yards of the comfortweave and 1 yard for the stripes on the front seats only.

I did not receive any extra material back from them so Imagine this was enough and not too much. I ended up buying another 1 yard of the comfortweave for the back seats as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too bought the black comfort weave from SMS and had it sent to TMI and had them make my seats with their black vinyl sides. They turned out great!

Pricy but well worth it in my humble opinion.

Does TMI charge anything extra? What seat do they base their pricing off? I was thinking of buying the comfort weave plus the vinyl stripe and use their outer leather.

Their is an upcharge to use your supplied material to sew into their pattern. My contact at TMI was Cindy Aden. I would recommend her as a contact. She was very helpful and I even had the chance to meet her in person in Charlotte when the car was completed.

Cindy Aden

Sales Manager

Classic Mustang Division

TMI Products, Inc.

[email protected]

www.tmiproducts.com

(951) 272-1996 Ext. 121

(951) 272-1584 Fax

On one of these now cold days I will have to take a cover apart and do a layout to see exactly how much material is required. I do need to know which way the pattern goes on the material. Does anyone have an uncut full width piece of the comfort weave you could take pictures of? Just need to see how to layout the pattern. I am thinking that the width of the material would be going across the car and length up and down the seat if like most other materials.

Slight highjacking of this thread.

Can anyone confirm that the picture below is what an original 5W interior seat should look like for a 71 Mustang? I'd like to order the correct insert material and just want to make sure.

xmv155.jpg

mwilson7, I checked my Ford info and the illustration you show is the correct interior for 71-72 Mach1 "5W". I have a Ford interior material sample but my year old scanner refuses to work (again)! That sure is a beautiful interior, just hard to keep clean as a daily driver.

As David stated earlier SMS has NOS and manufactures their Comfort Weave material. The samples they sent me matched my 71 Mach1 "5A" interior perfectly.

Back