Roller Idler Arm

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch on the price. $325 plus shipping!

I wonder how it compares to the AC Delco Pro #45C1011 idler at $65 shipped.

Would the Open Tracker idler return to center be diminished due to the bearings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yippe! Finally! I would say no! I would say, it would add to a smoother steering and better help with return to center! Need to start saving in the piggy bank!

Mustang7173

All,

I e-mailed Opentracker Racing Products about a DIY kit for the roller idler arm. Here is the email thread.

To: [email protected]

> Sent: Monday, May 2, 2016 6:15 AM

> Subject: Trans-Am Style Roller Idler Arm (1971-1973) Mustang / Cougar

>

> Good Morning,

>

> This is a real nice addition to the 71-73 mustang steering system. Does Open Tracker plan on offering the DIY kit?

> >

> Thank You,

mustang7173

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---- Opentracker Racing Products wrote:

> Hi,

> We will not be offering a do it yourself kit but I can help if your wanting to build one. I have a lot of roller kits to work with. There are many housings on the market for the 71-73 Mustangs and they usually don't have the same bushing size. A DIY kit would only work with the housings I have and I only have a few of them.

> Thank you,

> John Dinkel

> Opentracker Racing Products, LLC

> P.O. Box 252Carmel Valley, CA 93924Ph/FAX - (831) 659-0688www.opentrackerracing.com

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To: Opentracker Racing Products

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2016 1:16 PM

Subject: Re: Trans-Am Style Roller Idler Arm (1971-1973) Mustang / Cougar- Update

Hello John,

Wow, another Ford better idea in parts. I did not know that there were different housings. Is there a particular brand to look for? I would like to look into the kit. Please ad-vise.

Thank You,

mustang7173

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

We may be able to work with the housing you have. Can you send a photo of it? We will need some measurements off of it too.

The issue is making sure the center link is held in the same position after the roller kits are installed. The position of the top of the bushing on the center link side is crucial.

Thanks,

John

Opentracker Racing Products, LLC

P.O. Box 252

Carmel Valley, CA 93924

Ph/FAX - (831) 659-0688

www.opentrackerracing.com

I did not realize that the idler arms have difference size bushings and the critical position of the top.

muatng7173

Ouch on the price. $325 plus shipping!

I wonder how it compares to the AC Delco Pro #45C1011 idler at $65 shipped.

Would the Open Tracker idler return to center be diminished due to the bearings?
Anyone interested in the ACDelco part, Amazon has it for $53.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C9KWAW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I would think the return to center would not be affected. I believe this is primarily a function of caster angle.
So whats the difference between the Delco and the OTC? Is there anyone using the Delco? What are the advantages over stock?

I am at that point where I am replacing all the steering components.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Latest posts

Back