SBF Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971Fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback Mustang
1973 Coupe Mustang
I'm looking to build an engine, I looking at three different sets of heads. The first set is 1963 289 rebuilt with dual spring capable of 550 lift. The second choice is a GT40 type and also GT40P the 40 is aluminum and the 40P are cast iron both with springs up to 520 lift. I have also seen deals on aftermarket aluminum heads complete for about $620. The engine I'm looking at is a 302 bored 30 over with flat top pistons. I'm looking for the best heads to have some fun with.

For the right money, I'd go with the GT40 aluminum heads and a full roller block. Can be done relatively cheap if you shop around.

Thanks, I have wondered about the Pro Comp heads as well as the GT40's ... Roller sounds cool but, I don't know if I want to go that way..

Given those 3 to choose from I'd pick the aluminum GT-40s. I've used them before with good results on very modest builds. Make sure they are ready to run. If not dial in the extra cost of a valve job and perhaps guides. The AFRs suggested by73mach1 are excellent heads, best out of the box I've seen, but are not cheap. Chuck

Back