Seat Belt Fix

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Quick question for the group. I have 3 point seat belts that are in great shape. My issue is that the button clip for the lap belt is broken/missing. I saw there was a kit available for a 69-70 with just those pieces, but can't find one for our year. I would hate to have to replace the entire seat belt assemblies just for a couple broken buckles. Any suggestions/options?

Quick question for the group. I have 3 point seat belts that are in great shape. My issue is that the button clip for the lap belt is broken/missing. I saw there was a kit available for a 69-70 with just those pieces, but can't find one for our year. I would hate to have to replace the entire seat belt assemblies just for a couple broken buckles. Any suggestions/options?
Can you post a pick, I'm not seeing it in my mind?

Can you post a pick, I'm not seeing it in my mind?
Yes sorry! I probably did a terrible job of explaining it since you all aren’t mind readers. One button on my belts is gone, and the other really just doesn’t want to function well. This is the replacement part from NPD, just won’t fit our year. So all my seatbelts work, there's just nothing for them to clip in to.

Attachments

• 718CCDFE-5512-4F01-B190-973492ED9BF4.png
    718CCDFE-5512-4F01-B190-973492ED9BF4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes sorry! I probably did a terrible job of explaining it since you all aren’t mind readers. One button on my belts is gone, and the other really just doesn’t want to function well. This is the replacement part from NPD, just won’t fit our year. So all my seatbelts work, there's just nothing for them to clip in to.
Scott Drake crap again eh!
I don't have time right now, but I'll get back and post some pics of the buckles I have in mine, which are closer to originals, but still not perfect. There will be a compromise regardless.

Scott Drake crap again eh!
I don't have time right now, but I'll get back and post some pics of the buckles I have in mine, which are closer to originals, but still not perfect. There will be a compromise regardless.
Yep I am good with a compromise, not something I am needing to keep "all-original". It came with 3 pt seatbelts, and really don't like the idea of having to buy a whole new kit just for the 2 buckle parts. I could always go junk yard diving but my chances of finding that seem slim.

Yep I am good with a compromise, not something I am needing to keep "all-original". It came with 3 pt seatbelts, and really don't like the idea of having to buy a whole new kit just for the 2 buckle parts. I could always go junk yard diving but my chances of finding that seem slim.
The belts I have are from Seatbelt Solutions via Wesco (just a distributor). I ordered them with an 8" drop sash and star burst buckle. Looking at other manufacturers, Seatbelt Planet for example, they all seem to use much of the same hardware, i.e. they all look the same.
For me being a shorter guy and therefore need the seat more forward than most, I found the tunnel belt portion to be short compared to the original. Also the hard plastic sleeve used, seems to be pretty much a generic piece used on many different cars. It does not fit ours the way it ought to. What I did was to order separate sleeves from S/P (they sell accessories separately) and cut them to what I wanted. Still not perfect, but better.
The drop sash, could also be better and come with a cover for looks. I tried a sleeve, but it looked worse, so I took it off.
My biggest complaint is the buckle tang piece, which is basically fixed after adjusting for personal fit, stops the belt from fully retracting which leaves a loop of belt hanging. Finding the belt is awkward at times and then I find mine locks unnecessarily when trying to buckle up. Very annoying!
Why these manufactures still continue to use this sort of buckle tang and not the free sliding type we all have on our daily drivers, is beyond me. Afterall these are NOT meant to represent the originals, but a safer alternative.
Here are a few pics of mine. 1750, 1708,1714 are what I didn't finally use. Pics loaded not in order.

EDIT: another thought might be to look around the "auto recyclers" for suitable belts with the free sliding buckle and fit the tunnel buckle you already have. Now, that's a thought!

Attachments

• IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1719 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_1719 (2)_LI.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The belts I have are from Seatbelt Solutions via Wesco (just a distributor). I ordered them with an 8" drop sash and star burst buckle. Looking at other manufacturers, Seatbelt Planet for example, they all seem to use much of the same hardware, i.e. they all look the same.
For me being a shorter guy and therefore need the seat more forward than most, I found the tunnel belt portion to be short compared to the original. Also the hard plastic sleeve used, seems to be pretty much a generic piece used on many different cars. It does not fit ours the way it ought to. What I did was to order separate sleeves from S/P (they sell accessories separately) and cut them to what I wanted. Still not perfect, but better.
The drop sash, could also be better and come with a cover for looks. I tried a sleeve, but it looked worse, so I took it off.
My biggest complaint is the buckle tang piece, which is basically fixed after adjusting for personal fit, stops the belt from fully retracting which leaves a loop of belt hanging. Finding the belt is awkward at times and then I find mine locks unnecessarily when trying to buckle up. Very annoying!
Why these manufactures still continue to use this sort of buckle tang and not the free sliding type we all have on our daily drivers, is beyond me. Afterall these are NOT meant to represent the originals, but a safer alternative.
Here are a few pics of mine. 1750, 1708,1714 are what I didn't finally use. Pics loaded not in order.

EDIT: another thought might be to look around the "auto recyclers" for suitable belts with the free sliding buckle and fit the tunnel buckle you already have. Now, that's a thought!
Awesome info, thank you! I guess going by picture numbers, I need 1708. I don't have sleeves on either side, not a big deal for me. I swapped the passenger and driver side, since the passenger side would somewhat click in, just took a little force. Searched some recycler websites here in AZ, came up empty. I have a few months before they are necessary, as she is parked waiting for me to save up rebuild funds. Just trying to knock some smaller stuff out in the meantime. Is it pretty much a universal fit for those buckles? As in even though I have the 3 point belts that I am keeping, they will click into any buckle I come across?

I got new lap belts, but my original belt doesn't lock into the new buckle. I used the passenger side until it broke, then used the rears. I'm on the last one. When it breaks I'll have to buy the whole set, and mount it to my existing roof bolt.

Attachments

• 59799-4b78dd058e0fddee4ea00e545854428b.jpeg.jpg
    59799-4b78dd058e0fddee4ea00e545854428b.jpeg.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 0
I got new lap belts, but my original belt doesn't lock into the new buckle. I used the passenger side until it broke, then used the rears. I'm on the last one. When it breaks I'll have to buy the whole set, and mount it to my existing roof bolt.
That is pretty much exactly what mine look like, except for the frays. My belts are actually in great condition minus the missing button part. A salvage yard here in AZ wants $45 for each female end, which to me seems pretty steep but I could be way off. Never even occurred to me I could swap out the rear ones, so I think I will just do that.

I'm not 100% sure, but Seatbelt Planet do custom jobs, so maybe they can re-web and/or restore/repair your belts. Check their website.
As for are the latches all universal, no unfortunately they're not.
As mentioned, these aftermarket 3 point belts are nowhere near what they could be, or should be. Afterall, we put them in for our safety, not for show.
One more thing to mention and is very important for fastback and coups owners When ordering, the lap portion MUST be ordered with the "LONG "C" bracket". This is because the lap belt portion attaches behind the retractor. Others have tried to drill a hole to attach the short "C" bracket that they'll sell you if you don't order the long one. This is totally wrong. There is no need to change anything to fit retro 3 point belts to our cars with the exception of the Vert.
I know money's short these days, but you life may depend on your seat belts, do it right.

I'm not 100% sure, but Seatbelt Planet do custom jobs, so maybe they can re-web and/or restore/repair your belts. Check their website.
As for are the latches all universal, no unfortunately they're not.
As mentioned, these aftermarket 3 point belts are nowhere near what they could be, or should be. Afterall, we put them in for our safety, not for show.
One more thing to mention and is very important for fastback and coups owners When ordering, the lap portion MUST be ordered with the "LONG "C" bracket". This is because the lap belt portion attaches behind the retractor. Others have tried to drill a hole to attach the short "C" bracket that they'll sell you if you don't order the long one. This is totally wrong. There is no need to change anything to fit retro 3 point belts to our cars with the exception of the Vert.
I know money's short these days, but you life may depend on your seat belts, do it right.
Yeah I didn't assume they were universal. I think I am going to go Steve's route for the time being, and swap the female ends from the back seat to the front. Then once those give up I can re-evaluate what route to go. Definitely will remember the Long C bracket detail when it comes to it though.

Yeah I didn't assume they were universal. I think I am going to go Steve's route for the time being, and swap the female ends from the back seat to the front. Then once those give up I can re-evaluate what route to go. Definitely will remember the Long C bracket detail when it comes to it though.
It's whatever suits you and your pocket.
There has been a lot posted on this subject and available in 'search'. This one for instance by yours truly.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/re-visiting-3-point-seat-belt-conversions.36970/

Back