• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

seat belt parts (deluxe 72)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pastel, the color belts in your vert, Ford called Parchment. The black belts were probably more commonly found in the standard interior Mustangs, though I have seen color matching belts in standard cars. I remember ordering some color coded belts for some 72 and 73 standard cars where the retractor had quit working. 45 years later and untold numerous changes to these cars and things get harder to verify.

If you check out the Snake oyl site under the webbing listing. you see they along with other seat belt sites refer to the color now as #8000 Ivory. It's the same webbing they use in the belt restoration process. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Product_Code=BWB&Category_Code=SB_WEBBING

I don't want to hijack this thread but would add the following.

I would dare say that most of our belts would not hold up during a crash due to deterioration from UV. Just like the seats, dash and door panels the nylon in the belts does break down. Much quicker in the south and hot areas. Racing seat belts have a life. Tag sewn on the belt has mfg date and I cannot remember if it is 10 years you have to change.

I had been looking for new replacement belt material but I have not seen anyone that has the same pattern as our cars. The repo belts have a different pattern. Like everything else I have a commercial upholstery sewing machine and could sew them to the old buckles and retractors if I could find the right material. Anyone know of a supplier with correct pattern?

If you cannot find someone to get the originals from contact me I can get them and send to you. I do not know the cost but can find out. Mustang junk yard where I took picture early on in the thread.

David is correct on the "Life" on seat belt webbing. Normal wear and tear, UV damage, liquids (oil, drinks, lots of whatever, etc) get into the webbing and weaken it. Our dealer sponsored a 97 style T-Bird at a local NASCAR sanctioned track, and all the safety harnesses, fire suit/underwear etc had expiration dates on the sewn on labels. And they were checked every time the car went through tech inspection. So its a good ideal to check your belts whether you have a concours level show queen or a daily driver. Most new cars have pre tensioners in the belts that require the belt to be replaced after an accident. On cars like ours the belts were probably not replaced after an accident unless there was visible damage to the belt. The centrifugal force on the webbing and retractor mechanisms and hardware during an accident is enormous.

Back