!!!severe bumper fitment issue. please help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya they are the same going across. Since the striping needs professionally installed and this issue sitting on top of it, not to mention the door alignment issue from my previous post i have an appointment on Wednesday to have it taken in and finished. I want it done right. If i keep going, all im going to do is bend or scratch something.

Im familiar with the workmanship and quality of this restoration shop and have seen the work first hand. It will be in good hands. Its cool to think that when its returned, the car will be finished completely.

Me either im thinking about getting a pair of repros made by dynacorn to fit the fenders correctly.

I want it done right. If i keep going, all im going to do is bend or scratch something.

Im familiar with the workmanship and quality of this restoration shop and have seen the work first hand. It will be in good hands. Its cool to think that when its returned, the car will be finished completely.
I checked out the shops web site & I would say you made a good choice..One of the few shops I've seen who take the time to set up & use a measuring system for their work..It's the way it should be done.

Ya ive been to his shop. Hes really precise on evetything. This way i can take back my saturdays and sundays to get some stuff done arou.d the house and someone else.can deal with the car. Ill keep everyone updated.

Thats cool Mike. Hope you can have it back before Cruise-a-polooza up here in Butler. Be a good show to come up to. Did they give you any sort of time frame? Probably hard to tell til they get the car. Any way, Good luck!

Ya ill find out more tomorrow. Thats my goal is to get to some of these shows. There gonna pass me right by.

Hasn't it been mentioned that some of the reproduction front valances are close to 1" too narrow? Between pulling the fenders inwards and the reproduction fender shape themselves, that could be the answer.

Just throwing it out there...

-Kurt

Hasn't it been mentioned that some of the reproduction front valances are close to 1" too narrow? Between pulling the fenders inwards and the reproduction fender shape themselves, that could be the answer.

Just throwing it out there...

-Kurt
Kurt,

Which ones? Almost like we need some thread that lists "known" issues for repops.

Fun.../Not

Ray

Which ones? Almost like we need some thread that lists "known" issues for repops.
That's the million dollar question that I cannot answer - because wherever I dug up that information, it wasn't mentioned either.

I concur though - we ought to put together a master list of reproduction panels and their issues. I know I have a few things to say about the Spectra partial lower quarters, rear frame connector and full quarter skins (and I still can't recall who makes the latter, even though there is one sitting on my car right now).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Front valance is fine
All of the repops? Grrr.

Time to find the source of that info and ignore it.

-Kurt
I have checked DII and golden star - 2 brands I carry, they match up well.

None of sheet metal is perfect - Ford parts we not perfect

Biggest front valance problem is adjusting the fenders to the valance

Bottom of the fenders can move a lot.

Bolt the valance to both fenders then line up and tighten headlight bucket area fender bolts

do you have the lower fender support brackets installed? that spreads out the bottom of the fenders and the valance a lot.

i don't know if it would make up for the huge width difference. it looks like the fiberglass is flattened out more then the stock bumper. have you compared the fiberglass to an original 73 bumper?

Mike had that shop finish up his car and it turned out really nice. I saw it last July at a show me and him went to. This is a pretty old thread, but he did get it squared away. I havent seen or heard from him in a long time on here.

This is not the big deal that some think it is. The lower fenders just need to be spread out to meet the bumper. They are relatively flexible and can be made to fit with some finesse. A good bodyman can make it happen with probably no "modifications".

Just remember: You already determined that the original bumper and the new FG bumper are in fact the same size, so you know it will fit, since the old bumper fit...right?

Back