Side Exhaust on a 71-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Anyone do it? Have pics?

Seems like running exhaust out the back is a bs hassle on the staggered shock cars, which got me wondering about doing something like this (this is for an earlier mustang):

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Exhaust/side-exhaust-kit.htm

4ee0_1.jpg

Thoughts?

Anyone do it? Have pics?

Seems like running exhaust out the back is a bs hassle on the staggered shock cars, which got me wondering about doing something like this (this is for an earlier mustang):

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Exhaust/side-exhaust-kit.htm

4ee0_1.jpg

Thoughts?
I'm planning on side exhaust but I'm not using a welded muffler like the one shown. I got a couple of cherry bomb glass packs instead.

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

The setup you posted looks pretty nice as well.

I ran the side exit deal for awhile. Loved it from 20's to about age 27.Not so cool 30+.......

The combos can make the difference.

I had all of the worst:

BIG 588 cam with 72 deg overlap

2" header tubes,3.5" collectors

Center in Center out 3" flowmaster mufflers

You would be deaf and sick from the exh fumes and your clothes stink like it too.....

It would be cool to do it buy sinking the pipes into the rocker pannels aka nascar type/street rod set up.....

I had a side exit using turbo mufflers on my 69 back in the 80's. it was an economics issue as I couldn't afford a full exhaust at the time. They drug over low ground clearance areas and i flattened a few mufflers on sped bumps. It sounded really cool an was louder than I realized. Around '89-90 I coughed up enough cash to put exhaust out the back. That first drive was very memorable--I had to turn down my stereo--never did that before and had to learn how.

Back